I had this issue on my Galaxy S5, every time I tried to do update via OTA it says Galaxy S5 failed to update and reboots without any reason. It was pretty annoying till I figured out solution for it.
While looking into this issue I figured out many other users are facing this issue on their Galaxy S5. One thing is for common for every user, sometimes the phone fails to install the downloaded update, or it cant download the update.
How to Fix Galaxy S5 Failed to Update Error
This update error is persistent in downloading the Lollipop 5.1.1 update. the problem is that either the update is not completely downloaded, or the phone fails to extract it properly.
Let’s move on to the potential solutions of this common issue:
- First of all make sure that your Internet connection is stable. Size of update file is usually very big, so you need to have a good and consistent internet connection.
- Make sure there is 3 GB free in your internal storage and your phone is charged to at least 70% or connected to charger.
- Now Wipe the Cache Partition of your Galaxy S5
Following are the steps to wipe cache partition. Don’t worry wiping cache wont delete data present inside your phone:
- Turn off your Galaxy S5.
- Press and Hold Volume up, Home and Power Button till you Android figure in the background.
- Now you will see Android System recovery menu.
- Now use your volume keys to navigate to Wipe Cache Partition.
- Use power button to select the option.
Wiping cache will eliminate any malware that might be preventing the update to download or Install. It wont delete any data present in your Galaxy S5.
Other Method to Fix Galaxy S5 Failed to Update Error:
- Now, Try KIES to Download and Install the update. Before you proceed further, make sure your USB cable is working.
- Now connect your phone to your computer and wait till your computer recognizes your device. If it does not recognises, use some other USB port.
- After your phone is detected by KIES, you will be asked to update to new software.
- Download and Install the Software update, this time you won’t get Galaxy S5 failed to update error.
I hope above mentioned methods will fix Galaxy S5 failed to update error. If the problem persists, flash stock ROM or take your phone to customer care representative. If your phone is in warranty, you can get it changed or fixed.
Also Checkout: How to Fix Camera Failed Error in Samsung Galaxy S5
If you have any problem in above mentioned solutions, feel free to ask in the comments. If you know any other solutions for Galaxy S5 failed to update error, Share with us in the comments.