Huawei Nexus 6P can now get the AOSP marshmallow via chroma. A developer at XDA named as zephiK. who is also recognised senior member of the community came up with this AOSP (Android open source project). Use the following guide to install AOSP Marshmallow on Nexus 6P using Chroma ROM to get performance tweaks, some new great features and latest security patches on your phone.
Following are the features introduced in the Chroma ROM:
- Volume key can now be used for many options like waking up phone. You can enable long press volume key to skip a song on music player and many more.
- It also offers a feature that allows the users to put their phone to sleep by double tapping the navigation bar.
- Advanced reboot menu.
- Status bar for battery percentage, network and many more features.
Disclaimer: Installing custom ROM is technical process, only perform the following guide if you have adequate knowledge of flashing ROMS and rooting android device. If the process is no followed as mentioned in the steps below there are chances your phone might get bricked. iTechify is not responsible for any damage if the smartphone is bricked or anything. So try at your own risk.
Before you move further consider the following prerequisites:
- Installing custom ROM will get you new great features but it will void warranty.
- make sure that your phone is rooting before installing AOSP marshmallow on Nexus 6P using chroma ROM.
- Backup all your data before you proceed.
- Install the USB drivers on your PC. Otherwise your phone wont be recognised by your PC.
- Make sure your phone is charged and its battery percentage is >80%.
Guide on how to Install AOSP Marshmallow on Nexus 6P using Chroma ROM
- First of all download the Android Marshmallow AOSP and Google Apps on your PC. Now Connect your Nexus 6P with your PC via Data cable (USB cable).
- Now Place the Downloaded Chroma ROM (zip file) and Google apps (zip file) in your phone’s SD memory card. [It is recommended that you should move the files of ROM and Gapps to root directory of your SD card not any folder.]
- Before moving forward, make sure you have installed ClockworkMod Recovery and your device is already rooted.
- Now you have to disconnect your phone from PC and turn it off.
- Now boot into Bootloader mode by pressing volume up, volume down and power button.
- Now once you’re in “Bootloader mode“, go to ClockworkMod Recovery mode and perform full data wipe/ factory reset. (If you don’t know how to get into recovery mode, use this guide. Although it’s for clearing cache but it will guide you how can you get into recovery menu on Nexus 6P).
- Now clear the cache memory of your phone by selecting “Wipe Cache Partition” in the recovery menu.
- Now go to ClockworkMod Recovery Menu and select the Advanced Tab. Now select the option which says “Wipe Dalvik Cache“. It will ensure that your phone undergoes clean installation.
- Now navigate to main recovery menu screen and select the option “Install zip from SD card“.
- Now select the option “Choose zip from sdcard” now locate the Chroma ROM Marshmallow zip file in your SD card. The installation will begin.
- Now repeat the above step and choose Gapps zip file this time to install the Google Apps. For all this process you will have to use Volume keys for navigation and power button for selection
- Now last step, locate “Go Back” and reboot your phone by selecting the option in recovery menu “Reboot System Now“.
- Now you phone will take 5-10 minutes to reboot. and when it will start up it will be running on Chroma ROM marshmallow. You can confirm the installation by going into Settings and tapping About Phone
That’s all on how to Install AOSP Marshmallow on Nexus 6P using Chroma ROM. If you have any queries or questions regarding this guide, let me know in the comments. You can also head to the source link mentioned below to thank the developer and learn more about this ROM and you can get more details on how to install AOSP Marshmallow on Nexus 6P using Chroma ROM