Android operating system recently introduced a new security feature that if you factory reset your phone using the recovery menu, after the phone boots after the factory reset, it asks for Google account which was being used on the phone before factory reset was performed. To proceed further and to use phone you have to enter credentials of your Google account otherwise you won’t be able to bypass the security check. In the below guide I will guide you on how to bypass nexus factory reset protection.
The sole purpose of this factory reset protection is to prevent sale of stolen nexus phones. Otherwise the if your phone gets stolen and someone gets his hands on it and he doesn’t knows the security password. He could just factory reset the phone from recovery menu and start using the phone from fresh beginning.
The following trick allows you to bypass nexus factory reset protection, so if you have forgot password of your phone and you don’t even remember the Google account credentials then you can use this guide to access your phone again.
How to Bypass Nexus Factory Reset Protection
So now lets move on to the guide, at the end of this post you can also watch demo on how to perform this trick on your nexus phone to regain access and bypass nexus factory reset protection. If you are locked out of your phone follow the below steps:
I am assuming you have already performed the factory reset from recovery and you don’t know your google account details.
- First of all power on your phone.
- Now tap on the enter email option. Keyboard will open. Open the language selection menu by tapping and holding the “@” key on your keyboard.
- Now click on Google keyboard settings.
- Select Languages.
- Tap on three dots present on the top right corner and select help and feedback.
- Tap and select some text present on the screen of help screen with heading “Manage Google Keyboard”.
- After selecting the text, select the option share.
- It will ask you which app you want to share via. Select the Messenger app.
- Select any number. Messenger will open with texts from that contact.
- Click on call icon present on the top right corner of the screen.
- Now dialer app will open. Remove the number using backspace.
- Dial *#*#4536#*#*.
- Tap on Usage Statistics.
- Now tap back button. It will take you to settings screen.
- Locate and tap Backup and Reset.
- Tap Factory Reset.
- Now phone will factory reset and boot again without any Google account.
That’s it, now you can use your Nexus phone without having to put in Google credentials of your previous account. Now you can also make a new Google account for your phone. Now your phone will behave like you just got it out of the box.
Alternate case if the above solution didn’t work out for you:
If the above method didn’t help you to bypass nexus factory reset protection then perform the above guide till step 14 and then continue with the steps below:
- In the settings, go into user menu.
- Tap on Guest.
- Now in your guest account go back to settings menu.
- Locate and tap on Accounts and add a Gmail account there.
- Enter the email and password and skip the unnecessary steps like adding payment information.
- Now that you have entered another Google account. Goto User menu and select Owner.
- Now go back to settings menu, locate backup and reset.
- Now reset your phone for final time.
- This time your phone wont ask you for the Google Account credentials.
That’s it. I hope this guide on how to bypass nexus factory reset protection worked out for you. Watch the video below for demonstration of above mentioned process.
If you have any issue regarding the above guide, feel free to ask us in the comments. The above guide worked fine till february 2016 security patch. I don’t know if they fixed it in latest updates. But it is still worth giving a shot. Do let me know if you tried it on latest update and it worked out for you guys.