We all often forget our passwords, but thanks to reset password option through which we can recover our forgotten passwords easily without making much efforts. If you are a MacBook user and you forget your Admin and Standard user password then you don’t need to worry about. Here, we are going to explain the complete process for OS X 10.11 EI Capitan Reset Forgotten User and Admin Password. This guide is also applicable for OS X 10.10 Yosemite, OS X 10.9 Mavericks and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.
OS X 10.11 EI Capitan Reset Forgotten User and Admin Password:
Follow the enlisted steps carefully:
- First of all, you have to boot your Mac into recovery mode. For that follow the enlisted steps.
- Click on Apple.
- Click on Restart.
- Now, press and hold Command + R.
- Release the buttons when you see the startup screen.
- Now, you have to go to Utilities Menu.
- Select Terminal from Utilities Menu.
- Here in Terminal, type ‘reset password’. After that, press enter.
- Now, a new window will be opened. In this window, select Hard Drive. After that, select the user. Make sure that you select only that user for whom you want to reset the password.
- After that, you’ll be prompted to enter a new password. Click on ‘Save’ after entering a new password.
- Now, you will see a message about keychain account for confirmation process. In Mac OS X, keychain is Apple’s Password Management System. It stores all your passwords for websites, applications and servers.
- Go back to Apple Menu. Restart you Mac so that your Mac boots up normally.
- This time, in order to login to your MacBook, enter a new password.
If you are still facing any problem regarding OS X 10.11 EI Capitan Reset Forgotten User and Admin Password, then let us know in the comments below.