You might have heard a lot of times that if you are going for something related to Android phone’s operating system then make NANDROID backup of Android phone before proceeding. Well a NANDROID backup is recommended before you flash a custom ROM because if the new ROM screws up and your phone does not behaves as it should after flashing a new ROM and it wont even pass the boot screen then you can use NANDROID backup to restore stock or existing ROM that you have been using on your phone before you decided to flash new ROM.
NANDROID is very helpful even if you accidently soft brick your phone. You can restore your Android back to the previous ROM in just few minutes. NANDROID saves your data along with existing operating system, it is very beneficial for a person who flashes ROM every other day. Best solution is to make a NANDROID backup of your phone with stock ROM and move that backup to your PC or Cloud storage. So even if your internal storage or external storage gets corrupted, you can still have access to your files and data.
How to Make Nandroid Backup of Android Phone
In the following guide, I will be covering how you can make NANDROID backup of your phone and how you can restore that backup on your phone. This guide also includes moving the backup to a safe place like cloud or PC.
- Your Android device should be rooted.
- Your Android phone should have custom recovery like CWM or TWRP.
- Remove lock screen PIN CODE of your phone. Otherwise, you will have problem while restoring backup later on.
If your phone isn’t rooted or it doesn’t have custom recovery then use this link to install custom recovery on your Android phone. Use the guide in the link, but make sure you download the files resective to your smartphone.
Step to Step guide on how to make nandroid backup of Android phone using CWM or TWRP:
- Turn off your phone.
- First of all go to Recovery menu of your phone.
- For Samsung:
- Press and hold Volume up + Home + Power Button till you see Android figure on screen.
- For Nexus Phone:
- Press Volume down + Power button.
- Now use volume buttons to navigate to Recovery Mode.
- Use Power button to select it.
Once in recovery menu follow the steps according to your custom recovery:
- Tap Backup.
- Select the partitions which you want to back up. If you want to make full backup leave the selection to default.
- Swipe to right and backup will be performed.
- Use volume buttons to go to Backup and Restore.
- Select Backup.
- That’s it. All your data and ROM will be saved in a backup file.
Location of NANDROID Backup:
For TWRP: Locate TWRP folder in your phone, it will be present in external storage of your phone. There you will find the folder which will have backup of your phone. Mostly, it is saved with the date and time when you made that specific backup. Move it to your PC or upload it to your cloud storage.
For CWM: Locate CWM folder in external storage of your phone. It is present at data/media/clockworkmod/backups. Move the backup file to your PC or upload it on cloud storage. Backups are stored with the date and time when the backup was performed.
How to Restore NANDROID Backup of Android
In order to restore NANDROID backup of Android, Go to Recovery menu using the guide above and then follow the below steps:
For CWM: Select the option backup and restore and then select restore. Now you will see all the backups present in your phone. (Remember if you moved the backup to your PC. and now you want to restore it, you will have to move it back to the same folder data/media/clockworkmod/backups). Select the backup and use power button to restore it on your phone.
- Tap Restore on recovery menu.
- Select the backup you want to restore.
- Swipe to restore.
That’s all on how to make NANDROID backup of Android phone. If you have any question, feel free to ask me in the comments. Your feedback will be appreciated. If you want to add more to this guide, let me know how can I improve this guide.