Custom recovery opens new ways for you to explore your Android phone. It provides you with numerous features that can not be performed from stock Android recovery. In this guide I will explain step by step how to install custom recovery on Android phone. I will be explaining you step by step on how to flash CWM as well as TWRP on your Android phone.
Few notable features of custom recovery on Android phone:
- You can wipe dalvik cache.
- Perform NANDROID backup.
- Flash custom ROMs.
How to Install Custom Recovery on Android Phone
Personally I would recommend you to Install TWRP instead of CWM. As CWM is no longer supported by its developers, whereas TWRP is updated regularly.
CWM Using ROM Manager:
In this method you just have to install an app and it lets you root your phone. Know that in this method in order to proceed with installing custom ROM, make sure your phone is rooted. This method uses an app to install custom recovery on android, so this method is quite easy even for the beginners.
- First of all Install ROM Manager from Google Play Store. Or Install it from APK file on your Android phone.
- After you have installed ROM Manager on your phone tap on Recovery Setup.
- Now select the option of ClockWorkMod Recovery under the tab Install or update recovery.
- Now you will have to confirm correct model of your phone.
- After that select the option of Flash ClockWorkMOD recovery.
- ROM manager will ask for root access, grant it.
- That’s it. Now ROM manager will download and flash ClockworkMOD recovery on your phone.
After the new recovery is flashed. Turn off your phone. When its completely shut down. Press Volume up, Power button and home button for some time till you enter into custom recovery menu.
How to Flash TWRP custom recovery:
Following are the two methods to flash custom recovery on your Android phone.Use the following guide to flash TWRP custom recovery on your phone.
- First of all head over to TWRP website and see if your device is listed in compatible devices.
- Download the .ZIP file with respect to your phone.
- Place the downloaded file into internal storage or SDcard of your phone.
- Download Flashify.
- Select the .zip file you just downloaded from TWRP site.
- Flash it. That’s it.
- Turn off your phone.
- Now press volume up + home button + power button to flash into recovery on Samsung phones.
Make sure you have root access to your phone before you use the above method to install custom recovery on Android phone.
Method 2 to Install TWRP on Android phone:
Following methods includes downloading the app and using it to install custom recovery, it is the easiest method to install TWRP.
- Download TWRP Manager App from Google Play Store.
- Install the app.
- Open it.
- Select Install TWRP.
- Select your device from device list.
- Tap on Install Recovery.
- Now reboot your phone. That’s it.
Note: You can also install TWRP by downloading the .ZIP file from official site with respect to your device and then converting that .ZIP file to .TAR.MD5 and then flashing it using ODIN.
That’s all, if you have any issues or queries regarding how to flash/install custom recovery on Android phone, feel free to ask in the comments. There are other methods to install custom recovery on android, but the one mentioned above is the easiest.