Samsung Galaxy J2 is one of the middle tier smartphones of Samsung. Its price is low and its specification are somewhat less than their flagship. However it is a great and durable phone. As Samsung never compromises on hardware of their phone. Today we will be talking on how to flash stock ROM on Samsung Galaxy J2 all variants, to unroot it or to unbrick it if its soft bricked and stuck in Bootloop.
Moving on to the guide. Let me give you an overview on what we are going to do in order to flash stock ROM on Samsung Galaxy J2. First we will download the stock firmware of Samsung Galaxy J2 and flash it on your phone using ODIN.
The latest model of J2 series, that is Samsung Galaxy J2 2016 has 1.5 GHz quad core processor along with 1.5 GB ram. It has great 8 megapixel camera. It is running on the latest Android operating system that is Android Marshmallow 6.0.1.
How to Flash Stock ROM on Samsung Galaxy J2
Following are some prerequisites that you will need to download and install on your windows PC in order to continue:
- Download Samsung Drivers for Windows. (Link to download file is under the main heading). These drivers are to be installed on your PC, they are essential for your PC to recognise your device properly.
- From here, download Odin for Windows.
- Download Official Stock ROM for Samsung Galaxy J2 from Sammobile.
- Enable USB debugging on your phone;
- Settings-> Select About Phone -> Locate Build number and tap it 7 times.
- Head back to settings page and locate Developers Options -> Activate OEM and Enable USB debugging.
- Charging of your phone should be more than 40%.
- While you use ODIN, make sure KIES is off and not running in the background. (Uninstall it)
Download and install Samsung driver and ODIN on your Windows PC. Go to the link of Sammobile above. Enter your phone model and download the firmware according to your carrier or country. After downloading the ROM, if it is in zip file extract the contents of zip file in some folder.
Make sure you download the right ROM for your phone. If your phone is carrier unlocked then you can download and flash any unbranded stock ROM from the link above. But if your phone has a carrier and it is branded (e.g. Verizon, T-mobile). Then you should download the branded ROM respective to your carrier. You can flash any unbranded ROM on your carrier free Samsung Galaxy J2. But I would recommend you to get the matching ROM for your phone. Now lets move on how to flash stock ROM on Samsung Galaxy J2.
Follow the steps below to flash stock ROM on Samsung Galaxy J2 to unroot or unbrick your phone if it’s stuck in Bootloop:
- First of all, install ODIN on your Windows PC.
- Now install Samsung USB drivers for windows on your PC.
- After that turn off your Samsung Galaxy J2.
- Get your phone in Download Mode:
- When your phone is turned off.
- Press and hold Volume Down + Home Button + Power Button simultaneously.
- When you see a warning release the button and press volume up button to continue.
- Next step is to open ODIN on your windows PC.
- Connect your Samsung Galaxy J2 to your PC. After connecting the phone, if your phone is detected by the ODIN then the ID:COM section will turn blue. (If there isn’t any change, then your phone is not detected. Mostly the problem is in the USB cable or the drivers are not properly installed).
- Once your phone is detected. Click on AP or in some versions of Odin its PDA.
- Browse the extracted file and select the firmware file that will have .tar or .tar.md5 extension.
- Make sure only Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time is checked in the Odin’s option tab.
- When all is done. Click on Start and give it some time to flash stock firmware on Samsung Galaxy J2.
- After the flashing is successful, your phone will reboot and it will have stock ROM. It wont stuck at bootloop and it will be new as it was when you took it out of its packing. It will be unrooted as well.
Note: If the firmware you downloaded extracts more than one file then select the corresponding section according to file typeBL belongs to Bootloader, AP belongs to PDA, CP belongs to Phone(Modem) and select CSC file in CSC tab.
- If flashing is unsuccessful. Try with some other version of ODIN.
That’s all on how to flash stock ROM on Samsung Galaxy J2. If you have any questions or queries. Feel free to ask me in the comments. You can also take help from us if you don’t have any experience of using Odin or flashing ROM. If this guide helped you to unbrick your J2. Do give us feedback.