Samsung Galaxy J2 2016 is one of the middle tier smartphones released by samsung this year. Although its specs are not amazing. But still J2 2016 is a great smartphone for everyday use. If you are not much into smartphones and you don’t play heavy games all the time and you are not looking for exceptional camera. And you are short on budget. You can buy Samsung Galaxy J2 in a cheap price. Although the price is low, but samsung never compromise on the quality of its products. In this guide below we will talk about how to root Samsung Galaxy J2 2016.
The hardware used for manufacturing of Samsung Galaxy J2 2016 might be of low specs but it is of very high quality and it is durable. So don’t worry your phone wont give up on your soon. If you have got J2 and you are not happy with its skin and theme. You can root samsung galaxy j2 2016. Flash custom ROMs and recoveries and make your phone look like one of the latest Android smartphones out there.
Rooting allows you to customise your J2 to great extent. You can explore the options which you can access via stock phone. And you can manipulate system setting overclock or underclock your processor. There are hundreds of tweaks that you can use one your phone is rooted.
How to Root Samsung Galaxy J2 2016:
Samsung Galaxy J2 was released in july 2016. It is running on latest Android operating system that is Android Marshmallow 6.0.1. J2 offers dual sim support. Its screen size is of 5 inch and its running on Quad-core 1.5 Ghz Cortex-A7. Along with it there is 1.5 GB of RAM. Samsung Galaxy J2 has 8 GB of internal storage and it also has a external storage port. Its camera is of 8 Megapixels. Now lets move on to our guide on how to root Samsung Galaxy j2 2016.
- Enable USB debugging on your Samsung Galaxy J2 2016
- Goto Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number for 7 times
- Now move back to Settings, there you will see Developer options.
- Get into Developer option and enable USB Debugging and Enable OEM.
- Make sure your phone is charged.
- Minimal ADB Tool. Download it and Install it somewhere, you can access it easily. (Its a great tool developed by recognised developer of XDA. Its has number of features, we will be using it to unlock bootloader, root LG V10 and install TWRP.)
- SuperSU Flashable Zip File. (This file is required to root LG V10). Download it from here and move it to external or internal storage of your phone (External Recommended)
- Download Samsung Drivers for Windows. (Link to download file is under the main heading). These drivers are to be installed on your PC, they are essential for your PC to recognise your device properly.
- Download TWRP custom recovery for your Samsung Galaxy J2 from here.
- Although your data wont be deleted using this guide. But its recommended to backup your phone using this guide
Guide on how to root Samsung Galaxy J2:
- Locate the Minimal ADB folder in your PC.
- Download the SuperSU file from above and move it to internal storage of your phone.
- Move the TWRP Recovery file that you just downloaded and extracted to that folder.
- Rename the downloaded TWRP file to recovery.img (In windows file extension is hidden, make sure you don’t save the file as recovery.img.img in order to avoid it Goto Start-> Search for Folder Options-> Open it-> Click on View Tab -> Uncheck “Hide Extensions for Known File Types” -> Apply and hit Okay.)
- Now open the Minimal ADB tool. and enter the following code.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- If flashing recovery is successful. Your phone will reboot.
- Note: You can also flash TWRP recovery on your phone using ODIN.
- Once done. Turn off your phone and get into recovery Menu:
- Press volume up + home button + power button. Keep on holding the buttons till you see TWRP menu.
- Now in TWRP menu.
- Tap on Install.
- Locate the SuperSu file in the internal storage of your phone.
- Select it and Swipe right to install it.
- Wipe Cache Partition and Dalvik Partition from TWRP Recovery.
- Once done. Restart your phone.
- Now you will see SuperSU app in your App drawer.
- If its not present download it from Google Play Store.
- I hope this method helped you to root Galaxy J2 2016. If you have any issues or questions feel free to ask me in the comments. If you are having issues on how to root samsung galaxy j2 2016. Watch the video below:
Note: In the video below, TWRP recovery is flashed using ODIN. You can do that from the method above or from the method in the video below:
Method 2 to Root Samsung Galaxy J2 2016:
If the above method didn’t work for you then use the method below to root your J2. In the below method. First we will flash TWRP using Minimal ADB tool. Then we will flash SuperSu using TWRP recovery.
- Go to Developer option and enable USB Debugging and Enable OEM.
Now lets move on to the guide on how to root Samsung J2 2016:
- Download the KingRoot APK file from here.
- Install the KingRoot APK on your phone. (Make sure “Download from Unknown Sources” is enabled in Settings -> Security -> Check Download apps from unknown sources)
- Follow the onscreen instructions.
- Now download Root Checker App from Google Play Store to check if your phone is rooted or not.
- Locate SuperSU in your App Drawer. If it’s not present there then you need to follow the following steps. Otherwise your phone is rooted and good to go.
- Download Framaroot APK on your Samsung Galaxy J2.
- Install it. Select the SuperSU package and then select any character from the options below.
If your phone is rooted but SuperSu is missing in App drawer then download its zip file from here and flash it via custom recovery or directly install it on your phone from Google play Store. You can check if your phone is rooted or not by root checker app.
How to Unroot Samsung Galaxy J2 2016
If you want to unroot Galaxy J2 2016. Its an easy job. As after rooting you won’t be able to get the OTA updates of software from Samsung. And you can not claim warranty of your phone if its rooted. All you have to do is to unroot your J2 to get the updates and claim warranty. Unrooting is easy, it just takes few clicks and your phone gets back to stock condition.
In order to unroot Galaxy J2 2016 follow the steps below:
- Open SuperSu on your phone.
- Locate and Click on Completely Unroot.
- You will get a warning that if unrooting is successful, App will close itself.
If you have installed custom ROM or modified kernel, then above technique won’t work, you will have to flash stock ROM on your J2 using ODIN to get the OTA updates and to claim warranty of your phone. See this guide for whole procedure.
If you have any questions or queries regarding how to root Samsung Galaxy J2 2016, let me know in the comments. Do you have any better method to root J2? Do let us know.