Looking to Root Samsung Galaxy S7 and install custom recovery TWRP? You are at the right place.
Galaxy S7 is the latest flagship of Samsung. It has elegant design, perfect dimensions and beast like specification. Galaxy S7 is easily one of the best phone of 2016. It has great processing speed. and it has all the modern features which you would like to have in your phone.
In this guide, I will cover comprehensive methods with all the details on how to root Samsung Galaxy S7 and install TWRP. Rooting your Android phone gives you a lot of features that the stock ROM does not allow. You can overclock your phone to increase its performance. You can even underclock the processor to improve battery timing of your phone. Apart from these there are a lot of features which can be accessed once you have rooted phone. There are great number of app on the play store that only work with rooted S7. These apps lets you change system settings according to your choice. System and privacy settings can be changed once you are rooted. Now lets move on to our guide on how to root Samsung galaxy S7 and install TWRP.
Root Samsung Galaxy S7 and Install TWRP
Before we move forward, download the prerequisites and make sure you abide by all the precautions mentioned below. Rooting and flashing custom ROM is related to the system. If you don’t follow the instructions properly. You can end up bricking your phone. So make sure you understand and follow the instructions.
Note: Same guide can be used to root Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. Just download the S7 edge TWRP recovery file from the downloads below.
Prerequisites and Precautions:
- Download Samsung USB drivers for Windows PC (Link to download the drivers is under the main heading)
- From here, Download ODIN V3.12.3.
- Download Custom Recovery TWRP for Samsung Galaxy S7. (.tar or .tar.md5 file format)
- You will also have to Download SuperSu to root your Samsung Galaxy S7.
- Make sure your phone is charged to about 40%.
- Unlock Bootloader:
- Go to Settings -> About Device -> Tap on Build number for 7 times.
- Now Go back to Settings -> Developer Options -> Turn on OEM Unlocking and USB debugging.
- Although while you root Galaxy S7 and flash TWRP. You won’t lose any data present on your phone. But it is still recommended to backup all of your data using this guide.
- After downloading ODIN from above. Unzip it on your PC and place it somewhere it can be easily found.
- Make sure you have downloaded the drivers from the file above and installed on your PC. Drivers are required on your PC so that your Samsung device is recognised in download mode.
- After downloading the SuperSu file from above, that will be used to root your phone. Move the file to internal storage of your phone.
Now, lets move on to our guide on how to root Samsung Galaxy S7 and install TWRP recovery. I hope you are with me and done with the downloads and precautions.
Now Follow the Step to Step Guide below to Root Samsung Galaxy S7:
- First of all you will have to install custom recovery on your Galaxy S7 that is TWRP. It will be flashed using ODIN.
- Connect your Samsung Galaxy S7 to PC.
- Put it in Download Mode:
- Turn off your phone.
- Press Volume Down + Power and Home Button Simultaneously. Keep on holding till you see android figure on Screen.
- Now press Volume up button to continue.
- Now, connect your phone to your PC. Open ODIN. You will see ID:COM turn to blue, it’s an indication that your phone is recognised.
- Click on AP (PDA in some ODIN versions). Select the custom recovery TWRP .tar or .tar.md5 file that you downloaded. Like in the screenshot below.
- Finally, click on Start.
It will take 2-3 minutes to flash TWRP on your Samsung Galaxy S7. Then your phone will reboot.
- Once again turn off your phone. And get it into recovery menu.
- Once your phone is off. To get into recovery menu, press Volume up + Power + Home button. Keep on holding the buttons till you see TWRP menu. (If your phone boots into Android Stock recovery with android figure in the background, then you will have to flash the custom recovery again while unchecking the auto reboot. And when the flashing of custom ROM is completed. Turn off your phone and manually boot it into recovery menu. Don’t let it get start the stock operating system).
- Once in TWRP recovery menu.
- Tap on Install and Select SuperSu zip file. Flash it on your Galaxy S7 by swiping to right.
- Now go back to main menu of TWRP and reboot your phone.
- Once rebooted download Root Checker App from Google play store and confirm if the root was successful.
- As a result of root, you will see SuperSU app on your phone like in the screenshot below.
- Furthermore, if you can’t find SuperSu but your phone is rooted. Then download SuperSu from Google Play Store.
That’s all on how to root Galaxy S7 and install TWRP recovery. If you have any questions or queries feel free to ask me in the comments. You can use the same guide to root Samsung Galaxy S7 edge. Just download the right TWRP custom recovery for it.
Another Method to Root Samsung Galaxy S7 without TWRP:
In this method. You will have to download and abide by all the precautions stated above. But you will not need TWRP custom recovery file or SuperSu file instead you will only need ODIN and CF Auto Root tool.
- Download CF Auto Root tool for Samsung Galaxy S7.
- For Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge download this CF Auto Root tool.
Once you have downloaded the files above unzip them on your PC. Also, make sure you have already performed all the steps mentioned under heading prerequisites and precautions.
Root Samsung Galaxy S7 without TWRP by following the steps below:
- Open ODIN on your PC.
- Get your phone into download mode:
- Turn off your phone.
- Press Volume down + Power button + home button simultaneously. Keep on holding the buttons till you see a warning.
- Now press volume up button to continue.
- When you are in download mode. Connect your phone to PC.
- As a result; ID:COM on ODIN will turn to blue. This is confirmation that your phone is recognised by ODIN and your PC. If your phone is not recognised. Troubleshoot the Samsung Drivers.
- Now click on AP or PDA tab on ODIN.
- Select the CF auto Root tool .tar or .tar.md5 file that you unzipped.
- Now click on Start.
- ODIN will flash the file on your phone and finally your phone will be rebooted.
In Conclusion, I would like to say that rooting seems to be a technical but it is very easy process. Just follow the steps above and if you have any confusion regarding how to root Samsung Galaxy S7. Just drop a comment below. I will get back to you in less than 12 hours.