All Huawei smartphones come with locked bootloader. In order to install custom recovery like TWRP or root your phone. You first have to unlock bootloader of your Huawei phone. Locking the bootloader is a mean to secure your phone and its operating system from unofficial softwares including custom ROMs and recoveries. Even if your phone gets stolen and its locked, so if someone tries to install a custom recovery to use it. First he will have to unlock bootloader that will erase all the data present in your phone.In this guide, we will talk about all the methods on how to unlock bootloader of Honor 8.
There are 3 possible ways to unlock bootloader of honor 8. First method mentioned below is free of cost and its official method. Other two are from 3rd party softwares. It costs you money but its relatively quick.
Official way to Unlock Bootloader of Honor 8:
First method is from huawei itself. In order to unlock bootloader of Honor 8 officially. Follow the steps below.
- First of all, Open Huawei Website. And login with your existing Huawei account credentials or make a new account.
- Login into your account after creating account and enter the following information in the specified fields.
- Your phone model. (FRD-L09 for Honor 8)
- Serial Number of your phone. (If you dont know serial number of your phone goto Settings -> About -> Status.)
- You will have to enter IMEI of your phone. (You can find it on either the back of your phone’s box or by going into Settings -> About -> Status)
- Your phone ID ( You can find it by dialing *#*#1357946#*#*).
- Once you have entered all the details. Press the Submit button.
- Now you will get the unlock code via email. If you dont get the code but you get a error in its stead. Then you will have to use the other unofficial methods which are explained below.
- Once you got the code. You can now unlock bootloader of Honor 8 by using adb commands.
- Enable USB debugging on your phone.
- Goto Settings -> Tap Build Number 7 times.
- Now go back to Settings -> Development Menu/ Developer Options.
- Enable OEM unlock and Enable USB Debugging.
- Now open command prompt where you have Android SDK including fastboot and adb installed. If you have never tried this before. Just download Minimal ADB and Fastboot Tool on your PC and open it.
- Now connect your phone to your PC and open Minimal ADB and fastboot tool.
- Enter the following code in Minimal ADB and fastboot tool which looks like command prompt.
adb reboot bootloader.
- Now your phone will reboot into fastboot mode. Enter the following command.
fastboot oem unlock [insert unlock code that you got from huawei here].
- Now your phone will reboot and if the process was successful. All the data in your phone will be wiped and now your phone will be ready for rooting and flashing custom recoveries or ROMs as its bootloader will be unlocked.
Method 2 to unlock Bootloader of Honor 8:
Sometimes even after you have filled the form on official site of huawei and filled up your request to get the unlocking code. But the email does not arrives till days. Then you have to go with this method.
The following method is not official method to unlock bootloader of honor 8 but many users have confirmed that it works. But it will cost you 0.99 Euro.
- All you have to do is to install DC unlocker App on your phone.
- Open the app. Pay for the code and get the code required to unlock the bootloader.
- Now you have got the code. Start from step 4 of method 1 and perform all the steps starting from step 10.
This method will unlock bootloader of honor 8. If you are still having issues and problems then move to the method 3 which is below.
Method 3 to Unlock bootloader of Honor 8:
This method is not official and it will cost you 4 euro to unlock bootloader of your phone. If you recieve 14 day error from the official site while unlocking bootloader of honor 8 then go with the method below. Many users have claimed that this method works.
- First of all download and install DC unlocker on your Windows PC.
- Now Enter Manufacture mode on your phone.
- Open the dialer and enter this code *#*#2846579#*#*.
- Now an app will open. In this app. Select Project Menu -> Background -> Settings -> USB port Settings -> Manufacture Mode.
- Download the Huawei drivers and install it by extracting the drivers and running Driver-Setup.
- Once you have installed the drivers. Connect your Huawei Honor 8 to your PC using data cable.
- Now your phone must have been detected by your PC.
- Now open the previously installed DC Unlocker app.
- Select Huawei Phones and click on Auto Detect Model on DC unlocker app.
- Press the magnifying glass and the app will detect your phone. Once your phone is detected you will be able to read it on the DC unlocker app.
- Now you will have to buy credits to pay for unlocking.
- Click on Buy Credits. Setup your account and purchase the 4 credits that are required to get the bootloader unlocking code.
- After you have purchased the credit. Click on Server.
- Enter your DC unlocker login details. Press Check Login.
- Sometimes server is busy it might take couple of tries to verify your login details.
- Click on Unlocking Section. Now select Read Bootloader Code. (Do not click on unlock)
- Now you will see unlocking code in the console of the tool.
- Once you have got the code. Perform the method one from step 4 to unlock bootloader of your huawei honor 8.
That’s all from my side. If you have any issue or queries on how to unlock bootloader of Honor 8. Feel free to contact me or drop a comment below.Your feedback will be appreciated.
Once you have unlocked bootloader of your honor 8. You can flash custom ROMs and custom recoveried and root your phone to explore great underlying features.