Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge are the most successful phones of Galaxy series. They have the best design and appearance as compared to all other smartphones of their tier. They are no less in the specs and hardware as well. Talking about the specs, Samsung released two versions of Galaxy S7. International and USA. One is running on Samsung’s own Exynos and the other one is running on Snapdragon 820. Both are equally great. They were released with Android Marshmallow. But now you can update and install Android Nougat on Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge.
How to Install Android Nougat on Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 Edge
Samsung recently started a program that allows the users to test the Android Nougat 7.0 on their Galaxy S7 or S7 edge. It was a beta program, Samsung collected users feedback on the operating system. Fixed the bugs and implemented the popular choices. The beta program allows users to test operating system and provide Samsung with the feedback on the performance and usability of this new operating system.
Update: Sprint has started rolling out Android Nougat update for Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge.
The beta program was only available for few countries like USA, South Korea, China and United Kingdom.
Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge (Unlocked) were eligible for beta testing program. This programme was started on November 9th, 2016 and ended on the last week of december.
Samsung has started releasing the official Android Nougat for Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge on January 17th 2017.
Install Android Nougat 7 on Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge via ODIN:
In the following guide, we will be flashing Android nougat firmware on your Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge using ODIN. It is a simple process but not the official way to get Android Nougat. If you cant wait for the official version via OTA, then go for the guide below to install Android Nougat on Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 Edge.
Following are some prerequisites that you will need to download on your Windows PC before you move on to the guide:
- Download ODIN V3.12.3. (Click on download through browser when the window opens).
- Enable USB Debugging and Enable OEM Unlocking from Settings:
- Goto Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build Number for 7 Times.
- Now, go back to Settings -> Developers Options.
- Locate and Enable USB debugging.
- Download Samsung Drivers for Windows. (Link to download file is under the main heading). These drivers are to be installed on your PC, they are essential for your PC to recognise your device properly.
- For Galaxy S7 Edge SM-G935F. Download the firmware from here.
- For Galaxy S7 SM-G930F. Download the firmware from here.
- Download the firmware from above. Above firmwares are unbranded and will run with any unbranded Samsung Galaxy S7 or S7 edge. Make sure your phone is unlocked not branded with any carrier. The links above are from Sammobile, most reliable to download firmwares for Samsung mobiles.
- Turn off KIES.
- Perform Clean flash. It is recommended that you factory reset your phone before flashing new firmware.
- Knox is not triggered after flashing as this firmware is signed by Samsung.
Note: If you dont want to perform a factory reset and lose data. Although factory reset is recommended before flashing new firmware to get best experience. Download firmware that you are using right now on your phone. Use its HOME_CSC file instead of CSC file from the downloaded firmware in ODIN.
Note: If you want to revert back to Android Marshmallow, Download Smart Switch on your PC, connect your phone with your PC and restore the stock firmware.
Now lets move on to the guide on how to install android nougat on Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge via ODIN:
- First of all, download ODIN on your PC.
- Install Samsung USB drivers for windows on your PC.
- Download the right ROM for your phone and extract it on your desktop or anywhere it is easily accessible. Extract the .zip file to get .tar or .tar.md5 file.
- Now turn off your Galaxy S7.
- Get it into Download mode:
- Press Volume Down, Power button and Home Button simultaneously.
- Keep on holding buttons till you see a warning.
- Press Volume up button to continue.
- Now open ODIN on your windows PC.
- Connect your Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge with your PC via data cable. The ID:COM section will turn blue, like in the screenshot below. Its an indication that the PC has recognised your device.
- Click on AP or in some ODIN versions PDA .
- After that, locate and select the firmware you downloaded for your phone.
- If the firmware you downloaded extracts more than one file, then select the corresponding section according to file type BL belongs to Bootloader, AP belongs to PDA, CP belongs to Phone(Modem) and select CSC file in CSC tab. ( Mostly you just need to select AP/PDA file like in the screenshot)
- Make sure only Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time is checked in the options. DO NOT CHECK REPARTITION.
- Click on Start.
- Now, wait for 4-5 minutes. Don’t disconnect your phone from your PC while ODIN is flashing because it can brick your phone. Wait even if it takes time.
- Finally, when the flashing will complete your phone will reboot. And it will be running on Android Nougat 7 Beta version.
- After the flash, it takes about 7 minutes to reboot. Do not panic and try to restart or shutdown your phone.
If you have any question regarding how to install Android nougat on Galaxy S7 or S7 edge via ODIN. Ask me in the comments. Do give us your feedback after you flash Android Nougat on your phone. Also share with us your experience of running Android Nougat on Galaxy S7.