While trying to install new firmware on my Galaxy Note 4. I encountered this error “Firmware Upgrade Encountered an Issue. Please Select Recovery Mode in Kies“. I happened because the firmware I was trying to flash didn’t flash properly and it gave an error “All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)“. When I tried to reboot my phone. It was stuck in download mode. I was unable to get the phone into recovery mode or restart it.
I have been quite happy with my Note 4. Few weeks back, it started random boots and I was facing severe lag issues. I cleaned the cache partition from recovery, it didn’t help. I factory reset the phone. Issues were still there. I even removed the bloatware and all the unnecessary apps. Nothing seemed to be working out for me. So the last option was to install stock firmware. While trying to install firmware via ODIN. I got this error Firmware Upgrade Encountered an issue. Please Select Recovery Mode in Kies. The error arises because ODIN failed to install the firmware properly.
Fix Firmware Upgrade Encountered an Issue. Please Select Recovery Mode in Kies on Samsung Galaxy Phones:
There are number of things that you need to consider if you come across this error. It means that the software or operating system has malfunctioned. You will have to install new firmware.
Although the error says use KIES to install the firmware. But when I installed KIES. It said your phone is not supported by KIES. Same is the case with Smart Switch. Note 4 is not supported by smart switch. After all the failed attempts. I had to move back to ODIN. This time I downloaded ODIN from Sammobile. I double checked the CSC and PDA of ROM. To make sure I have the right firmware.
Solution of this problem is to correctly install the firmware again. First I will discuss some precautions. Next, I will guide you step to step on how to install stock firmware using ODIN for the guys who have no experience with ODIN.
- Make sure you are using original data cable or Samsung’s cable to connect your phone to computer while flashing firmware.
- Make sure KIES is not running in the background. Use task manager to kill it.
- Run ODIN as Admin. Also turn off your Antivirus. It might be interfering with flashing.
- May be USB port of your computer is causing the issue. Try again with some other port.
- Restart your PC and Then try.
- Whenever you try to flash the firmware and get error. Restart the ODIN as well.
- Try with some other version of ODIN.
Now lets move on to the guide on how to install stock firmware on Samsung Galaxy Devices to fix Firmware Upgrade Encountered an Issue. Please Select Recovery Mode in Kies Error:
First of all following are some prerequisites that you will need to perform or download before proceeding.
- Download ODIN v3.10.7 from here. (Click on download through browser when the window opens).
- Download Stock Firmware for your phone from SamMobile. (Enter model number of your phone, It will display all the stock ROM present for your phone)
- Download Samsung Drivers for Windows. (Link to download file is under the main heading). These drivers are to be installed on your PC, they are essential for your PC to recognise your device properly.
- Make sure your phone is charged upto 50%.
Make sure you have the right ROM for your phone. If you phone is carrier unlocked and it is not branded you can use any carrier free (unbranded) ROM from the link above. Now how to check if your phone is branded or not. If logo or any carrier appears when you start your phone then its branded, if only Samsung logo appears when you reboot your phone then it’s clean. Make sure you don’t flash unbranded ROM on branded phone and vice versa.
Steps to install stock firmware to fix firmware upgrade encountered an Issue:
- Download ODIN on your PC
- Install Samsung USB drivers for windows on your PC.
- Now turn off your Note 4 and Get it into Download mode.
- Press Volume Down, Power button and Home Button simultaneously.
- Keep on holding till you see a warning.
- Press Volume up button to continue.
- Now open ODIN on your windows PC.
- Connect your Samsung Galaxy Phone with your computer using original data cable.
- Once your computer detects your phone, the ID:COM section will turn blue.
- Click on AP or in some ODIN versions PDA .
- Select the stock ROM you downloaded.
- Make sure Only Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time is checked in the options. Like in the screenshot below.
- Click on Start.
Wait for few minutes. Don’t disconnect your phone from your PC while ROM is flashing. If you encounter any error. See the precautions above. Installing firmware from ODIN sometimes can be frustrating. You have try again and again. But it works in the end. So dont lose hope.
If you are still having issues. And above solution didn’t help you out then see this guide.
Note: If the firmware you downloaded extracts more than one file then select the corresponding section according to file type BL belongs to Bootloader, AP belongs to PDA, CP belongs to Phone(Modem) and select CSC file in CSC tab.
If this guide helped you to fix “Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please Select recovery mode in KIES“. Do let me know in the comments. Also, if you know some other method to fix this problem do share with us. Leave us your questions and queries in the comments, we will get back to you as soon as possible.