Google Maps has been for some time a very important service for the users and it has gotten a lot better with the introduction of using it even without a Wi-Fi or data package. Many people use Google Maps almost daily, so being able to download offline maps is a very practical feature. This article will help you how to use Google Maps offline.
How to Download and Use Google Maps Offline on Android:
Before you can use Google Maps offline, you will have to use it online first in order to store the required data first.
So keeping that in mind, do the following:
- Open Google Maps while being online and search for your desired location.
- Once you’ve found the location/area you want, the easiest way to save it for later is to go to the options menu by tapping the three lines icon and tapping Offline areas.
- Next, tap the plus or add symbol in the bottom right of the screen and you will be prompted with a message that says “Download this area?”
- Drag the map inside the square box until it encompasses the area you want a map of.
- Press Download.
- Write a name for that area.
- Once you have downloaded the map to your device, you can access it by tapping the menu icon at the top left of the main Maps page and returning to Offline areas, where you should now see your downloaded area.
Even though it is a very useful feature, it does have some limitations attached to it.
Some of the limitations are:
- Cannot download a very large area, for example, a whole country. You can only select a certain area.
- Not possible to download a map that takes more than 1.5 GB.
- The maps will be stored for 30 days. The downloaded maps will automatically be deleted after 30 days.
This feature has been a huge hit amongst the users as it is not always easy to gain access to Wi-Fi.So there you have it, simple guide on how to use Google Maps offline.
Google maps can be a lifesaver if you are traveling and you will not have access to the internet in that country. When I went to Amsterdam for the very first time. I realized my network does not work in that city. Navigating without google maps in a new city can be really troublesome, although we had a map of the city on a paper as well. So, I went to a bar and downloaded a map of the whole Amsterdam on my phone. So that I can use Google maps offline. After that, I moved around the city and explored all the tourist places with peace.
For any question or feedback, do not be hesitant to leave a comment down below.