Huawei has jumped into the international smartphone market with a boom. Its smartphones are giving a hard time to Apple, Google, and Samsung phones. These companies reigned over the smartphone market for years and years. Now Huawei also stands in the ranks of one of the best smartphone manufacturers in the world. Huawei phones come with EMUI operating system. EMUI 1 was released back in 2012. It was based on an Android phone. The latest one out is EMUI 11, which is based on Android 10. This guide will talk about reverting an update on the Huawei phone. Furthermore, we will discuss the methods that you can use to downgrade firmware on Huawei phones.
Downgrade Firmware on Huawei Phone:
You can use several methods to downgrade firmware on Huawei phones. We will cover each method. You can use whichever method suits you the best.
Method 1 to Revert Update on your Huawei Phone:
In this method, you have to download the appropriate firmware for your Huawei phone. Once it is downloaded, move it to your phone, and then use the recovery menu to flash the previous version of the firmware. It will roll back to the specified firmware.
- Check your firmware version.
- Go to Settings -> System -> About Phone and check your EMUI version, Model number, and Build number.
- Download the supported firmware according to the model of your phone.
- Make a Backup of your phone. Installing the firmware will delete all the data present in your phone.
- For Huawei P40, you can find the firmware from here. The important information you need to match is the model, e.g., RNE-L21 and part of build number, e.g., C432 or C185, as in the screenshot below.
The important information that you need to know before downloading a firmware is the Model Number and Build Number; using this information. Then, you can select the appropriate firmware for your Huawei phone.
Directions on How to Downgrade Firmware on Huawei via Sideloading
- First of all, make sure your phone is charged.
- Download the appropriate firmware on your PC.
- Extract and move the contents of the “dload” folder to your phone’s USB/SD partition.
- Now turn off your phone and boot it into the recovery menu.
- For the devices with keys. Press and hold the volume up and power button till you are in the recovery menu. If your phone doesn’t have side keys, you can look up the method on how to enter the recovery menu. It usually involves plugging in the charging cable while the phone is off and holding the volume up button until you see the recovery menu.
- Once you are in the recovery menu. Select update mode.
- Now select update mode and tap on “Memory card / OTG update mode.”
- Now your phone will verify the firmware and flash it.
After flashing the firmware, your phone will restart.
Method 2 to flash firmware and downgrade firmware on Huawei phone via dialer menu/project menu.
- First of all, make sure you have a backup of your phone. You can either make a backup on your google account or via HiSuite.
- Now download the firmware from above once you have firmware. Finally, move the contents of dload folder to your USB/SD partition.
- Now, on your phone, open your dialer and type *#*#2846579#*#*
- On the screen, you will see some options. Select Project Menu -> Software Upgrade -> OTG Update mode or SD Card Update -> OK.
- Now select USB/SD Card Update mode.
- Now, wait for your phone to flash the firmware. After the flashing of firmware, your phone will restart and boot up into the new firmware.
Downgrade firmware via HiSuite:
HiSuite is the official tool that allows you to flash firmware, backup, and restore all your data of your Huawei smartphone on your PC. It is a pretty powerful tool that allows you to troubleshoot problems on your phone. For example, install new firmware or update your phone. You can also use it to install new firmware if your phone is dead.
Suppose the above methods didn’t work. Use this method to flash the firmware on your Huawei phone. You can use HiSuite to install a previous version of firmware on your phone.
- All you need to do is to download and install HiSuite on your PC or Macbook.
- Connect your phone to your computer using a USB data cable.
- On your phone, go to Settings and search for HDB and turn it on. Make sure your mode of communication is File Transfer or Photo Transfer.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and click on Update on HiSuite.
- Now on your screen, you will see a message that you are using the latest official version.
- Under the message. You will see an option “Switch to Other Version” click on it.
- There you will see the previous versions of your EMUI version. Finally, select and click on Restore.
- Finally, you will get a prompt that this operation will clear all the data present in your phone click on Continue.
- HiSuite will now download the specified firmware and flash it on your Huawei phone.
I hope this guide helped you to downgrade firmware on your Huawei phone. Suppose you have any questions or queries. Ask me in the comments. If you have urgent queries, you can contact us via social media channels or email.