If you are using one of these Huawei phones like the Mate 8, Mate S or Honor, Huawei P9, P9 lite, P9 plus, Huawei P20, Mate 10, Mate 10 lite, P30, Mate 20, Nova 3e, Mate 10 Pro, P30, P40 Pro or Mate 20 Pro and running Huawei’s factory UI called Emotion or Harmony OS. You will miss out on the notifications that should appear on your phone screen if there is any message or alert by the specific application. The following guide will help you fix missing push notifications on Huawei smartphones.
This issue might occur because of the power-saving features on Huawei’s EMUI Harmony OS. You probably wouldn’t be getting all the notifications you’re used to on other Android devices, such as WhatsApp messages, Facebook alerts, or any further push notifications.
These notifications include anything from Gmail and Outlook to text messages and even data-based messaging apps like Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, Instagram, Telegram, Viber, Skype, Google Hangouts, etc.
If you run into this problem, we have a quick and easy fix. It will allow you to fix missing push notifications on Huawei smartphones. So all the missing notifications make it back to your home screen as soon as you receive any message or alert. The following guide covers the fix for this problem and explains why these notifications are missing.
Update: If you are using EMUI 10 or the latest Huawei phones, you can use the MicroG method to receive push notifications on your Huawei phone. This guide also lets you access and receives notifications from Google Apps on a Huawei device.
Fix missing push notifications on Huawei smartphones:
The primary reason for missing notifications from commonly used apps is the default power profile is set only to keep a small list of apps and services running in the background. A battery-saving process that prevents the other applications from performing any activity on the phone unless they are running in the foreground.
Note: If you have a Huawei phone running on the latest EMUI of Android Oreo and Pie, use the following method.
To access this power profiles section and to enable push notifications on a Huawei phone, follow the steps below:
- Go to the system settings. (which you can either find in the quick toggles portion of the notification shade by pulling down the status bar on the top part of the screen)
- Scroll down to the Advanced Settings and head over to the Battery Manager.
- Go to the Protected Apps selection. ( This is what you’re looking for here. This option will control what’s allowed to run when the screen is off and what isn’t.)
- From here, you can pick which apps are allowed to run. Ensure your email and chat are included in the list of enabled apps.
EMUI will let you know which apps are “power-intensive” (That consume more battery power). So if those are your favourite apps and you want to receive notifications from that app, you should probably turn them on.
If you’d allow every app on the phone to run all the time in the background, feel free to check the All slider at the top. However, note that this will cause a significant battery drain compared to the default values.
Note: If your Huawei phone has issues with Google sync, the contacts, and Gmail are not synced to the cloud appropriately. Then see this guide to fix the problem.
Update (17th August 2018):
The above solution has proved to work for many Huawei smartphones, including Huawei Honor 7, Mate 8, and P9 lite. Suppose you are still missing notifications on Huawei. Then try the below method.
- Download and install “Quick Sync Settings” from Google Play Store on your Huawei Phone.
- Go to Settings -> Accounts -> Google -> Enable App-data Sync. Even when the app is closed, Whatsapp, Facebook, Hangout, and all other application’s push notifications will work.
Fix Missing Notifications on EMUI 8 or EMUI 9 (Android Oreo and Android Pie versions of EMUI)
Suppose your Huawei phone runs on the latest EMUI 9 or EMUI 8. Then you will find the settings to enable the background running of a specific app by following the steps below:
- On your Huawei phone. Goto Settings->Battery->Launch->[app].
- Each app will have a slider; you must disable it to manage the underlying setting manually.
- On your screen, you will see a prompt that says, “Manage manually.” In addition, it will have the following option:
- Secondary launch
- Run in background
You will have to enable the Run in Background option for the apps that are not showing notifications or missing notifications when the phone is not in use.
Method 2 to Fix missing push notifications on Huawei P9:
If the above method doesn’t work for you, try the following method. One of our readers had a similar problem with his Huawei P9 lite. Fixed missing notification on Huawei P9 by performing the steps below:
Go to: Settings -> Apps -> WhatsApp -> Battery -> Keep running after the screen is off. Enable this, and you are good to go.
Also, make sure here that background data is enabled for the apps:
Settings -> Apps -> WhatsApp -> Data usage -> Background Data -> Enable.
Enjoy those relevant notifications again..!
Method 3 to Fix Missing Notifications on Huawei phones:
If you’re not receiving push notifications on your Huawei smartphone like P40 or P50, you can try the following steps :
- First, check the app notification settings: Go to Settings > Apps & notifications > App info, find the app that’s not sending notifications, and make sure that the app has permission to show notifications.
- Disable battery optimization: Go to Settings > Battery > More settings > Battery optimization. Find the app in question and select “Don’t optimize.”
- Check network connectivity: Ensure your device is connected to a strong and stable network, Wi-Fi or mobile data.
- Sometimes, a simple restart can fix the issue.
- Ensure the app is updated by checking for updates in the Google Play Store.
- If the previous steps didn’t work, you could try uninstalling the app and reinstalling it from the Google Play Store.
If this guide does not work for you and you are still not getting the notifications, try changing the launcher to Nova. You can download it from the App Store.
If you have any questions regarding the guide above to fix missing push notifications on Huawei phones, please ask me in the comments. Also, if you are confused regarding any step above, we are here to sort it out for you.