There are times when even factory reset fails to fix any error for you. Most of the time the error is software related. Sometimes, you can’t even turn on the phone, but you can access the recovery menu and download mode. It happens when your phone fails to load the firmware. When everything fails to help out then the last and most reliable solution is to flash stock firmware on Galaxy S6.
Samsung Galaxy S6 is one of the most adored smartphones of galaxy series. Many Samsung customers were disappointed by Galaxy S5, but S6 and S6 Edge made them forget all their disagreements with Samsung. Apart from the great processing power of Exynos 7420. Galaxy S6 has a very stylish and graceful premium body. Its camera is praiseworthy, it lags behind a little because of a small battery.
How to Flash Stock firmware on Galaxy S6
Flashing stock firmware is also called installing stock ROM. It can fix almost any issue that is related to software. It is the ultimate solution if nothing works to fix any issue that you are facing on your Galaxy S6. Although, people are reluctant to flash stock firmware on Galaxy S6. It is quite easy and the whole process takes a few minutes. The only downside of installing a stock firmware is that it deletes all the data present inside the internal storage of your phone. Sadly Galaxy S6 does not have an SD card you will have to move your data to PC or cloud.
If you flash exactly the same firmware that is already running on your Galaxy S6, then even the data present in the internal storage of your S6 won’t be deleted. Installing factory image or stock firmware on your Galaxy S6 can also be used to unroot your phone.
Now let’s move on to the guide on how to flash stock ROM on Galaxy S6.
- First of all, Download ODIN v3.10.7 from here.
- Download Stock Firmware for your Galaxy S6 according to its model number from SamMobile.
- Download Samsung Drivers for Windows. (Link to download file is under the main heading). These drivers are to be installed on your PC, they are essential for your PC to recognize your device properly.
- You will need a computer for this solution.
- Make a backup of your data using this guide (optional).
- Enable USB debugging on your phone; Settings-> Select About Phone -> Locate Build number and tap it 7 times. Head back to the settings page and locate Developers Options -> Enable USB debugging.
- Your phone should have at least 40% battery.
- Lastly, make sure KIES is off and not running in the background. (Uninstall it)
Finding the right firmware is very important before flashing. You can install unbranded firmware of any country if your phone is not carrier locked.
To check if your phone is branded or not, reboot your phone and see if some brand name or logo like T-Mobile, etc appears at startup. If it’s not branded then you can flash firmware of any country that is unbranded on your phone.
Step to step guide on how to flash stock firmware on Galaxy S6:
- First of all, Download ODIN on your PC.
- Now install Samsung USB drivers for windows on your PC.
- Now turn off your Galaxy S6 and Get it into Download mode. Press Volume Down, Power button and Home Button simultaneously. Keep on holding till you see a warning.
- Once you see the warning, press Volume up button to continue.
- Now connect your phone to your PC using a USB data cable
- Now open ODIN on your Windows PC. If ID:COM section is turned into blue then your phone is added.
- Click on AP or in some ODIN versions PDA.
- Select the stock ROM you downloaded.
- Lastly, make sure only Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time are checked in the options. Like in the screenshot below.
- Click on Start and wait for few minutes. While firmware is flashing, make sure that you don’t disconnect your phone from your PC.
That’s all on how to flash stock firmware on Galaxy S6 using ODIN. If you are not comfortable with ODIN. You can use the second method below that uses smartswitch for the same process.
Note: If the firmware you downloaded extracts more than one file then select the corresponding section according to file type BL belongs to Bootloader, AP belongs to PDA, CP belongs to Phone(Modem) and select CSC file in CSC tab.
Method 2 on how to Install stock firmware on Galaxy S6 using SmartSwitch:
The new smartphones of Samsung support the Smart switch, it is a great software in order to backup all your data to your pc or you can also use it to install official firmware on your Galaxy smartphones. Only a few latest ones like S6 edge, Note 8, Galaxy S7 and S8.
The process is pretty easy, just follow the steps below:
- Download Smart Switch from its official website and install it on your PC. It works on Windows PC as well as MAC.
- Once Installed. Open it and connect your S6 to your PC using a data cable.
- The smart switch will recognize your phone.
- Now you will have an option to install stock firmware on your phone using Emergency Software Recovery and Initialisation.
- Now select Software update and Initialisation.
- The smart switch will itself find the latest suitable firmware for your Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge and install in on your phone, just follow the on-screen instructions.
- Once installed your phone will reboot. Know that you will lose all your data present on your phone using this method. You can also backup all your data using the smart switch on your Windows PC. Once you are done with installing the firmware on your S6, you can use this software to restore all your data back to your phone.
Note: Once you flash Stock firmware on Galaxy S6. It will remove the root access. If you installed custom ROM or custom kernel, it will also be removed. Galaxy S6 will be new as you pulled it out of the box.
That’s it. I hope this guide works out for you. If you have any query regarding how to Flash Stock firmware on Galaxy S6. Let me know in the comments. Do give us feedback if flashing stock firmware fixed your issue or it didn’t.