Nexus 6P is one of the most loved Android phone. Even in 2018, users of Nexus 6P are quite contented with its performance and experience. Nexus 6P is the last phone of Nexus iteration of Google. After this phone Google moved to Pixel and the prices jumped to the skies. I have personally used Nexus 6P before moving on to Pixel 2, it has everything it takes to stand among the best smartphones. The best thing about Nexus 6P is that it is the first one to get official Android Software updates. Recently Google released its latest operating system, Android Oreo. Users of Nexus 6P have started receiving the latest OS on their smartphones via OTA updates. If you are one of those who still hasn’t got the OTA update. You can use this guide to install Android Oreo on Nexus 6P.
The latest build of Android Oreo 8.1 is the December security patch. It seems to be the last update that Nexus 6P will ever get from its manufacturers.
Android Oreo comes with a lot of new features, few notable features are Picture-in-Picture, Custom Icons and Notifications, Quick Settings, WiFi Awareness, and Information screens. It gives better battery life and software is optimized to give great performance. So, if you are not getting the OTA, use this guide to flash factory image of Android Orea on Nexus 6P.
Install Android Oreo on Nexus 6P:
In the following guide, I will provide you with the step to step details on how to install factory image of Android Oreo on Nexus 6P using a tool. Installing firmware on Nexus 6P using this tool is really easy. This tool is developed by recognized developer of XDA named as WugFresh. So you don’t have to worry.
- Make sure your phone is charged to about 60%.
- Install WugFresh Nexus Toolkit from here.
Download the tool and install it on your Windows PC. This tool also allows you to make a backup of your Nexus 6P. See this guide on how to make NANDROID backup.
Proceed to the guide on how to install Android Oreo on Nexus 6P:
- Connect your phone to your laptop via USB cable and open the Nexus ToolKit.
- Open the tool. the software will check whether all the dependencies up to date. If yes, then the main screen will appear if not, then the missing dependencies will be downloaded.
- Now, select your device and the current android version your device is running and then just hit apply. Or let the tool do it, connect your phone to your PC and click on Auto Detect Device + Build. (Make sure USB debugging is turned on on your phone).
- Now the software will download TWRP and SuperSU for your phone. It is not really necessary when you don’t want to root your phone you just want to install the lastest firmware. So you can skip this step.
- Once the software gets to the main screen. Click on “Full Driver Installation guide“.
- If you never installed the drivers of your Nexus phone on your Windows PC. Proceed directly to step 3 mentioned on the subheading of the tool.
- Click on “Google Drivers“. Install it on your PC. These drivers are required if your Windows PC isn’t recognizing your Nexus 6P.
- Once the drivers are installed and your phone is recognized. Select Unblock if the bootloader of your phone is still locked.
- After the bootloader is unlocked (Remember unlocking bootloader will delete all the data present in your phone). Go to “Main Menu” and select status “Flash Stock + Unroot“.
- Now follow the onscreen instructions, that will ask you to first put your phone in bootloader mode.
- If you already have downloaded Android Oreo firmware for your Nexus 6P. Click on Other/Browse and select I downloaded a factory image myself that I would like to use instead.
- Then a window will open that will allow you to select the zip file of Android Oreo firmware. This is only in the case when you already have downloaded Android Oreo on your PC.
- Otherwise, click on Google Factory Image Download Page.
- A webpage will open, navigate to Angler for Nexus 6P.
- Locate Android Oreo Firmware and download it on your PC. Like in the screenshot below.
- If you don’t want to lose the data present in your phone, select “No Wipe Mode“. Although you will lose all your data if the bootloader was not unlocked before performing this guide.
- It is recommended to install a clean firmware with factory reset to get the best performance from Android Oreo on Nexus 6P. So its recommended not to select No Wipe Mode.
- After the download is finished the flashing of Android Oreo on Nexus 6P will start.
- Just follow the on-screen instructions and your phone will be good to go.
After the reboot, your Nexus 6P will be running on Android Oreo. If you have any questions regarding the guide above on how to install Android Oreo on Nexus 6P. Feel free to ask us in the comments. You can also write to using the contact us email ID if there is any confusion at any step in this guide.
Do give us feedback regarding your experience of Android Oreo on Nexus 6P.