Honor 9 stands as another smartphone that can be acquired at comparatively low price and it gives strong competition to all the top-notch smartphones of 2016. It costs around €430 and it has everything to make it stand next to the high-end smartphones like OnePlus 5 and Samsung Galaxy S8. While its price is almost as compared to S8. Honor 9 has a sleek and stylish design that makes it comfortable to hold and use it from one hand only. On the back side, there is a curved glass. It has Gorilla glass 3 on both sides and its coated with aluminum to match the color of glass. honor 9 features 5.15 inch of IPS LCD screen. It is running on Android 7.0 but using this guide you can install Android Oreo on Honor 9.
Honor 9 also have an option to customize the theme of the phone using themes app. It has the same processor as Huawei P10. A high-end octa-core CPU. Along with that, there is 4 GB of RAM onboard.
Talking about the latest EMUI 8 for Honor 9, there is no update for many countries yet. EMUI 8 is AOSP of Android Oreo. Huawei jumped directly from EMUI 5.1 to 8. It is not readily available on all the Huawei devices. So, if you can’t wait for the OTA update, you can use this guide to manually install EMUI 8 on Honor 9. This guide might be a little tricky for nontech people, who don’t have much experience of flashing firmware and custom recovery on their Android Phone.
Step to Step Guide on How to Install Android Oreo on Honor 9:
As I said before the guide is not easy, it is for the professionals who have been doing it from time. If you are trying it for the first time, just follow the steps below, and feel free to ask me in the comments if you have any confusion.
- You can download all the necessary files i.e Firmware, TWRP, SuperSU etc from here.
- Make sure your fastboot and ADB commands are up and running.
Now let us move on to the guide.
How to Install Android Oreo on Honor 9:
- Download the firmware from the above link and move L09-B321 firmware files to the root directory of your SD card. Download them and move them to ADB folder.
- Install the TWRP for Nougat via Fastboot:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.1-nougat-stf.img
- Boot into recovery menu of your phone and connect it to your PC.
- Open ADB shell and run the following commands.
dd if=/external_sd/STF_RECOVERY_NoCheck.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/recovery_a dd if=/external_sd/STF_RECOVERY_NoCheck.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/recovery2_a echo --update_package=/sdcard/update.zip > /cache/recovery/command echo --update_package=/sdcard/update_data_full_public.zip >> /cache/recovery/command echo --update_package=/sdcard/update_full_STF-L09_hw_normal.zip >> /cache/recovery/command
Lastly, you will have to reboot the recovery again via TWRP terminal or ADB shell. In order to do so, run the following code:
Now the installation will start and you will boot into Android Oreo on your Huawei Honor 9.
Also Checkout: Fix Google Account Sync on Honor 9.
Update on How to fix missing boot animation after you install Android oreo on Honor 9:
After flashing the firmware you might notice some weird things, like the sound, might not be ringing and the theme store not loading and the boot animation missing at startup. In this part, we will fix this issue.
- Install TWRP for Oreo using the following code:
- fastboot flashrecovery_ramdisk twrp-3.1.1-oreo-stf.img
- Open TWRP recovery and flash the SuperSU file provided in the link above.
- Download any Root file browser (e.g. Root Browser (free) or Root Explorer (paid)).
- Open the Root File Browser app.
- In /cust/hw rename “normal” folder to “eu” (without the quotes)
- In /version/special_cust/STF-L09/hw rename “normal” folder to “eu” (without the quotes)
- Reboot your Phone.
There are a few more steps which are just recommended but they are not essential:
- It is recommended to do a factory reset and unroot, as there are some internal software changes in the above guide.
- Now install stock ramdisk to ramdisk partition using fastboot:
fastboot flash ramdisk RAMDISK.img
- flash stock recovery ramdisk using fastboot
fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk RECOVERY_RAMDISK.img
- Boot into Recovery, use the same button combination or ADB commands as you use to get into TWRP.
- Factory reset your phone.
Das ist alles, now enjoy your using your device on Android Oreo.
I hope the guide was easy and the instructions on how to install Android Oreo on Honor 9 were clear. If you have any issues, questions or confusion regarding the guide above, feel free to contact me using the comments.
The credits of this guide go to Honor Ambassador for XDA. Who developed this method, if you want to roll back you can see the instruction on his post.