The wait for Samsung Galaxy S8 Verizon users is over. Android Oreo is being released as OTA update to Snapdragon variant (USA) of S8 users. If you can’t wait for the OTA update, use this guide to update or install Android Oreo on Galaxy S8 Verizon or S8+.
Samsung has greatly reduced the bloatware in their smartphone with Android Oreo. It was the only thing that was keeping me from Galaxy devices. Samsung Galaxy S8 features a 5.8 Inch screen, whereas Galaxy S8+ has 6.2 Inch AMOLED Screen. Both phones are running on either Snapdragon 835 or octa-core Exynos 8895 and they are loaded with 4 Gigs of RAM. There is a slot for external storage, camera result is exceptional. S8 is the first smartphone of Samsung to feature Type-C USB port.
Some new features that you will see in the Android Oreo on Galaxy S8 and S8+ are as follows:
- The picture in Picture Mode.
- Notification snoozing.
- Background app optimization.
- Notification channels and other small tweaks that come with Samsung Experience 9.0.
It does not matter if carrier you are on Verizon or Sprint. You will soon be getting the over the air update from Samsung on your phone. You just have to keep on checking the software update feature in the settings of your S8. BUT if you can’t wait for the update, use the guide below to experience Android Oreo on your Galaxy S8 powered by Verizon.
Update: If your Galaxy S8 is not Verizon, then you can use this guide to flash stock firmware.
In this guide, in order to install Android Oreo on Galaxy S8 Verizon. You will have to first flash the firmware from ODIN then sideload the update from SD-Card of your phone.
- Download Samsung Drivers for Windows PC.
- Download Odin tool for flashing the firmware. (Odin is an official tool for Samsung devices to flash firmware or custom recoveries)
- For Samsung Galaxy S8 G950U:
- For Samsung Galaxy S8+ G955U:
Finally, when you’re done with the prerequisites move on to the guide.
Guide to Install Android Oreo on Galaxy S8 Verizon or S8+:
- Make sure your Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+ is G950U or G955U respectively.
- Move the update file downloaded from above to SD-card of your phone. (If you don’t have SD card you can sideload the update from ADB commands using your PC)
- Now turn off your Galaxy S8 and get into Download mode.
- Press and hold Bixby button + Volume down + Power button till you see a warning.
- Open ODIN and connect your phone via USB cable to your PC. If your phone is detected by your PC, ID:COM on ODIN will change color. If your Windows PC does not recognize your Galaxy S8+ then make sure you have downloaded the Samsung Drivers for Windows PC as mentioned above in prerequisites.
- Extract the ODIN firmware file on your PC.
- You will find three files in the extracted zip file.
- On ODIN, click on BL and select the file that starts with BL in the folder where you extracted the firmware.
- Now click on AP and select the file that starts with AP and do same with the CP Like in the screenshot below.
- Click on the Start button on ODIN.
- Now ODIN will flash Android oreo on Galaxy S8 Verizon. It will reboot once the flashing is successful.
- Once your phone restarts, power it off again and get into recovery menu:
- Press and hold the Power button, Bixby, and Volume up button until you see Android figure in the background or your phone vibrates.
- The last step is to navigate to “Apply Update from SD card” by using the volume button and press power button to select.
- Now select the update file with zip extension and press power button to select.
That’s all, once the update is done, you can see it in the log on the lower side of your screen. Reboot your phone and it will reboot with Android Oreo running on it.
If you don’t have SD card then sideload the Android Oreo Update for Galaxy S8 or S8+ Verizon using the steps below.
- Download and Install ADB minimal tool.
- Connect your phone to your PC using a data cable and put it in download mode.
- Move the update file to the folder where you have extracted Minimal ADB tool.
- Open the tool and enter the following code:
That is all about how to install Android oreo on Galaxy S8 Verizon or S8+. If you have any questions or queries regarding the guide above let me know in the comments. Also, provide us with feedback on your experience of Android Oreo on Galaxy S8 Verizon.