Samsung has started rolling out Android Pie update for Galaxy Note 8. The operating system that the Pixel users have been using for almost half a year now will be available to the Samsung users. The update brings a new & revamped One UI for the Samsung users. This new user interface along with other new features were beta tested for months. Although the Android Pie update was supposed to be released at the start of last month. Finally, at the start of this month Note 9 has started getting Android Pie 9 update. From today, users of Note 8 have reported that they have started getting OTA updates of Android Pie 9. The reports are coming from the Eastern Europe side, some users from Bulgaria and Slovakia have reported getting the new update via OTA. If you can’t wait for OTA update on your Note 8. You can use this guide to update Note 8 to Android Pie 9.
The update brings up a new UI along with performance improvement. It is sized just below 2 GB. So make sure you have got enough space to accommodate the new Android Pie Update on Note 8. Samsung had a separate Android Pie testing program for Note 8. So we can expect a pretty stable update even on Note 8. Along with the new UI, it is also expected that the Note 8 will get the Night Mode feature as well as previously released in Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+.
Guide to Update Note 8 to Android Pie 9:
First, let us talk about the easy way to update Note 8 to Android Pie 9. This can be done by going into the settings and checking for the OTA update. As Samsung has already started rolling out OTA updates for its Note 8 users. Maybe you are also in luck to get the update.
- In order to check if you have received OTA update of Android Pie on your Note 8 head on to the Settings of your phone.
- In settings, locate and open Software Update.
- If it’s there, click on “Download and Install“. In Android Oreo, you will see an option of Download updates manually.
- Now, your phone will download the Android Pie upgrade and install on your phone.
Another thing that you should keep in mind is that this is a big update almost 2 GB. So in order for it to function efficiently and effectively. It is recommended to factory reset your Note 8 before or after installing the Android Pie update on Note 8.
Update Note 8 to Android 9 Pie Using Odin:
If you haven’t got the Android Pie update via OTA update. You can install and update Note 8 to Android Pie using this guide. In this method, we will use ODIN to install Android Pie on your Note 8. ODIN is an official tool that is used to flash firmwares and custom recoveries on Samsung smartphones. Although, the process is not based on some space science. You can easily get it done even if it is your first time. Just follow the steps and you are good to go. If you are not comfortable with ODIN then you can use smartswitch for installing Android 9 on your Note 8. If your phone is not rooted, you can just wait for the OTA update to arrive on your phone.
One thing that you need to keep in mind is that ODIN only works on Windows. There is not any version that works for Linux or MAC. So, if you are using MAC or Linux, you might need to borrow a Windows running laptop. You can also try with installing Windows on a virtual machine, but it is not recommended as it is slow and takes ages to load a single program.
There are some pre-requisites that you will have to take care of before you move on to the guide.
- You will have to download and install Samsung drivers for windows.
- Download ODIN 3.13.1.
- You will also have to download Android Pie 9 firmware for your Samsung Galaxy Note 8. (Enter your Note 8 model number and look for Android Pie 9 firmware for your country. You will more details on how to find the appropriate firmware for your phone below)
- Make sure your phone is charged and its battery is above 50%.
- Turn on USB Debugging on your Note 8:
- Go to Settings -> About Device -> Tap on Build number 7 times.
- Now Go back to Settings -> Developer Options -> Turn on USB debugging.
- Backup all the data present in your Note 8 using this guide.
First of all, you will have to install Samsung drivers for Windows on your PC. You need to have these drivers on your phone for your PC to recognize your phone. If you have connected your phone to your PC before and transferred some data then most probably your laptop will have these drivers.
Now comes the part where you have to find the appropriate firmware for your Note 8. If your phone is carrier free then you can install any firmware from any country. If your phone is branded like Vodaphone, At&t, Sprint etc. Then you will have to install the specific firmware with respect to its country and brand. If you flash unbranded on the branded phone your phone won’t work and you will have to reinstall the appropriate firmware. If you install the latest version of exactly the same firmware that is in your phone. I mean like the country and firmware is same then the data present on your phone won’t be lost.
How to Update Note 8 to Android Pie 9 by flashing firmware:
In the guide below, you need to be careful with the steps. Perform them as mentioned, otherwise, you can screwup your phone pretty badly.
- First of all, turn off your Note 8.
- Now go to Download Mode by pressing and holding Bixby, Power, and Volume down button. Release the buttons when you see a warning on the screen.
- Press Volume up button to proceed to Download Mode.
- On your PC, open ODIN and connect your phone using a USB data cable. You will see “Added” in the logs of ODIN.
- You will see your phone has a connection with your PC. The ID:COM on ODIN will change to blue. (If the color didn’t change, then the PC has failed to recognize your phone. Make sure you have installed the right drivers and the drivers were installed successfully. Sometimes the fault lies in the USB cable)
- In ODIN, you will see a number of tabs and you will have to select files respective to each tab. Click on CP and locate and select the CP file from the extracted firmware. Click on AP and select the file with AP in the name. Similarly, add BL file in the BL tab.
- One thing is to be considered. If you want to factory reset while you update Note 8 to Android Pie. Select CSC file in CSC file. Otherwise, load the HOME_CSC instead.
- Make sure F.Reset.Time and Auto Reboot option are checked in the ODIN. If there is any other option checked. Uncheck it.
- Now everything is ready, press the “Start” button. The whole process will take around 5-9 Minutes. Once done, your phone will reboot.
Important Note: Do not disconnect your Note 8 while flashing is in the process even if it takes long time. If flashing fails, use some other version of ODIN and repeat the process. In some firmwares, you will find only the AP file and in some versions of ODIN, you will find PDA instead of AP. If there exists only one AP file in the extracted firmware. Just load the AP and flash the firmware.
Guide to update Note 8 to Android Pie 9 using smart switch:
This is the easiest way to update Note 8 to Android Pie 9. It has a limitation though, it will only work if there exists an Android Pie 9 firmware for Note 8 in the SmartSwitsch library. The good thing about SmartSwitch is that it works on Linux, MAC, and Windows.
Beware that this method will delete all the data present in your Note 8. So, once you have installed SmartSwitch on your PC. Connect your phone and backup all your data using SmartSwitch.
Now if you want to update Note 8 to Android Pie 9 follow the steps below:
- First of all, install SmartSwitch on your computer.
- Now, connect your Galaxy Note 8 using an original data cable.
- SmartSwitch will recognize your phone and display its details.
- You have to install stock firmware on your Note 8 using Emergency Software Recovery and Initialization option.
- In this menu, you have to select Software Update & Initialization.
- Now you will see the list of available firmware for your phone. If you find Android Pie in it select it.
- Now follow the onscreen instructions. Once the whole process is complete your Note 8 will reboot.
- Now you can restore the backup you made using SmartSwitch to get back all the data back on your phone.
That is all on how to update Note 8 to Android Pie 9. I have covered all the methods possible to update to Android Pie 9. If you have any questions or queries regarding any of the methods above. Feel free to ask me in the comments.
If you have received official Android Pie on your Galaxy Note 8. Do share with us your experience with it. Let us know about the things that you liked and the things you didn’t like.