UMIDIGI is a Chinese phone famous for its inexpensive and high specs smartphones. Talking about the famous phones of UMIDIGI flagship series, UMI Z, Z Pro and Z1 standout among all. Before moving forward know that this guide is to install custom recovery on Android UMI smartphones based on MediaTek. Installing custom recovery like TWRP won’t erase any data from your phone so don’t worry about that. If you are looking for a guide on how to root and install TWRP on UMI smartphone then you are at the right place.
Most of the phones of Z series are identical. The latest one of UMIDIGI is S2. It is said to feature a 5100 mAh battery, that is huge. Along with that, it has a 6-inch display screen that too with 90% screen to body display. The best thing about display screen is its aspect ratio that is 18:9. The latest model of the UMI smartphone also supports Face recognition and unlocking. The Company states their face unlocking is faster as compared to Apple and OnePlus. Umi is known to deliver premium features at the budget price.
Use the guide below to root and install TWRP on UMI smartphone:
Following is the list of supported devices. Using this guide, you can install TWRP recovery and root the devices mentioned in the list below:
- UMI EMax
- UMI Fair
- UMI Hammer
- UMI Hammer S
- UMI Iron
- UMI Zero
- UMI Rome
- UMI Iron Pro
- Umi Rome
- Umi Rome X
- UMI Touch
- Umi Super
- Umi London.
- UMI Max.
- UMI Plus.
- UMI Plus E.
- UMI Z and Z pro.
- UMI Touch X.
- UMI Zero.
The guide below is only for the above-listed phones, drop a message in the comments if your phone is not listed in the lost above. This following guide is to root and install TWRP custom recovery on any UMI smartphone running on Android.
Before moving forward, I have assumed that you know that rooting and installing custom recovery voids warranty of your phone, so proceed with caution. Trying to be smart and skipping any step that you are unable to perform might brick your phone. If you can’t perform any step properly, or you’re getting an error. First, resolve it then move forward.
- Select right ROM for your phone from this link.
Download TWRP Custom with respect to your phone from the link below:
- UMI eMAX: TWRP_184.108.40.206_UMI_EMAX_4.4.4_284X_v2_recovery for Android 4.4 or UMI_eMAX_TWRP220.127.116.11_lollipop for Android 5.x.
- UMI Fair: CWM_Umi_Fair (created by #megthebest).
- UMI Iron: UMI_Iron_TWRP_2.8.7_recovery.
- UMI Zero: UMI_ZERO_TWRP_2.8.2_recovery.img.
- UMI Hammer: UMI_Hammer_TWRP_2.8.7_recovery.
- UMI Iron Pro: UMI_Iron_Pro_TWRP-2.8.70_recovery.img. (created by#megthebest)
- UMI Rome: TWRP_2.8.7_Umi_Rome. (created by #megthebest)
- UMI Rome X: TWRP3.0.0RomeX. (created by #megthebest)
- UMI Touch: Touch_TWRP_3.0.2 or CWM_18.104.22.168_UMI_touch.
- UMI Super: TWRP_3.02_UMI_Super. (created by #megthebest)
- UMI Zero: UMI_ZERO_TWRP_2.8.2_recovery.img
- UMI Touch X: TWRP_302_for_UMI_Touch_X_201605171.img (created by megthebest and jemmini)
- UMI London: TWRP_302_UMI_London.V3.01_20160612.img (created by jemmini)
- UMI MAX: TWRP_302_UMI_MAX.V1.01_20160819.img (created by jemmini)
- UMI Plus: TWRP_302_UMI_PLUS.V3.01_20161019.img (created by jemmini)
- UMI Plus E: PlusE_TWRP_303_V3.01_20170112.img (created by jemmini)
- UMI Z and Z Pro: TWRP_303_UMI_Z.V3.01_20170116.img (created by jemmini)
Note: Use a full ROM/firmware package together with the scatter file inside its folder. Don’t use such a setup where not all partitions are loaded.
Before moving on to the guide to root and install TWRP on UMI. Following are some prerequisites:
- First of all, Back up your phone using this guide. (Recommended, not mandatory)
- You will need a PC to flash the custom recovery.
- Download MT65x3_USB_VCOM_drivers. And install them on your PC.
- Download SP-Flash-Tool for Windows. After downloading, extract it on your computer.
- Make sure that your phone charging is over 50%.
- Download SuperSU from here for rooting your UMI device.
- Download TWRP and rename it to recovery.img. And place it on your desktop or somewhere you can easily access.
Root UMI and Install TWRP on UMI Smartphone:
After you are done with downloading the above prerequisites. Proceed to the following steps:
- First of all. Extract the MT65x3_USB_VCOM_drivers file on your PC. Now run installdriver file to install the drivers on your PC. It is necessary so that your phone is recognized by your computer.
- Now Extract the SP-Flash-Tool on your computer and open the flash_tool file.
- I have assumed that you have already downloaded the ROM from the above link. Extract it in some folder from where you can easily locate it. We need ROM to get scatter file from it.
- Now open the FlashTool. Click on scatter file and select the scatter file from the folder where you extracted the ROM.
- Check the Recovery and double click on its location field, locate and select the device-specific custom recovery file that you downloaded earlier.
- Connect your phone to your PC and click on Download button.
You can boot into recovery by following the steps below:
- Turn off your phone.
- Now press the Power button and Volume Up button.
In some UMI smartphones, it gives you an option at bootloader mode and you can select the recovery menu from there. Use volume buttons to navigate and power button to select.
Note: In some phones, you HAVE TO boot your phone into recovery at the first power on after TWRP flashing. Otherwise, the original stock recovery will be restored by the system. So that’s always better to start with booting into recovery after flashing.
How to Root UMI Smartphone using TWRP:
Following are the steps that will allow you to root UMI phone, once you have successfully flashed TWRP custom recovery on your UMI phone.
- I have assumed that you have already downloaded the SuperSU zip file.
- Move the SuperSu zip file into internal storage memory of your UMI smartphone.
- Turn off your phone.
- Boot into recovery menu, press Volume Up + Power Button simultaneously.
- Once you are in TWRP recovery, leave the buttons.
- Now tap on Install. and Navigate to find SuperSU zip file.
- Swipe on the screen to install the file, which will root your phone.
- Once you are done. You can install root checker app from Google Play Store to verify Root.
UMiDiGi is a small company based in Shenzen, but it is progressing forward at light speed. Their leadership and team strategy have led them towards success and rapid growth in sales. UMI started manufacturing of smartphones 5 years ago. Now its smartphones have all the latest features like edge to edge display, face unlocking, and fast charging. The company representative states that you can get a full day charge on just 30 minutes of charging. Just recently, the company released its three new high-end smartphones, which relinquishes the space between the smartphone giants and UMI. The new phones have good processing power along with 4-6GB RAM. They also have an internal storage capacity of 32-64GB. One can add more storage using the SD card slots that support up to 256GB.
That’s all on how to root and install TWRP on UMI Smartphone. If you have any question let me know in the comments. You can help us improve this guide on how to root and install TWRP on UMI Smartphone by finding us the TWRP and ROM files of other UMI phones.