CyanogenMOD does not have permission to install the Google apps (Gapps) while flashing the firmware. Before 2009, Cyanogenmod came with preinstalled Google apps. But later on Google asked CyanogenMod founder to stop including Gapps in CM ROM. Reason was that cyanogenMOD can be installed in devices which do not have license to have Google apps. For days development of CyanogenMOD rom was stopped. Internet was full of android users while heart full of hatred for Google. Then an alternate method was found to introduce Google Apps in CM. The method was to flash the Gapps on your own. While flashing you might come across many errors, one of the most common is error 70 while installing gapps.
Installing Gapps on Android phone is same like installing custom ROM. You just have to flash it using custom recovery. Use this guide if you don’t know how to flash custom rom and Gapps on Android phone. Now moving on the solution of getting Error 70 while installing gapps.
How to Fix Error 70 while installing Gapps
Few days back, I was flashing custom ROM on my android phone, I flashed the ROM and when it came to flashing Gapps. An error occurred. It was Error 70: Insufficient storage space available in System partition.
After spending a lot of time I figured out it solution. One solution is reformating System Partition and increasing its size. Its troublesome, technical and can get your phone bricked. The solution I came across is very easy, and anyone who can flash custom ROM can do this.
Solution is simple. Get the smallest package of Google Apps (pico) and flash it in your system.
Use the following guide if you don’t know how to get Pico package for your custom ROM.
- Go to OpenGapps.
- Select Pico Variant. It will give you all the Google Play Services and few Google Apps. It has small size and good enough for your phone to perform background google android services. If you want other Google apps, you can later on install them from google Play Store or APK file.
- Select Appropriate Platform/Architecture of your System. (If you are not sure about your phone architecture see this guide.)
If you can’t understand the terms used then match up the terms below with your phone’s architecture:
- ARM: ARMv7 or armeabi
- ARM64: AArch64 or arm64
- x86: x86 or x86abi
Consider following details of CyanogenMOD before selecting appropriate Google Apps:
- CyanogenMOD 13: It is AOSP of Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
- CyanogenMOD 12.1: It is for Android 5.1.
- CyanogenMOD 12: It is for Android 5.0.
- CyanogenMOD 11: it Is for Android 4.4.
I hope above solution helps you to fix error 70 while installing gapps. If you have any other error while installing custom ROM or gapps on your Android phone, let me know in the comments. You can also share any other solution of this error 70 while installing gapps. Do give us feedback if above solution works out for you.