Sometimes you want to download an Android app from Google Play Store but due to unavailability of that app in a specific country and its app store. You can’t download it. What should be done in that case? One option is that you forget that app and find some other app with the same features. What if there is no such app on Play Store as an alternative to that app? In that case, you can opt to change country in Google Play Store and download the desired app on your Android phone. You also need to change Google Play store country if you move from one country to another. After changing the country you also have to update your payment methods along with an address.
Google uses the billing address of your default payment instrument in Google Wallet to help determine your home country for accessing the Play Store. To change your location and to access any specific country’s play store, you must have a valid payment method with a billing address located inside a country. For example, credit or debit card. You can also get it done via PayPal. In some European countries, you can get it done directly via SEPA.
Rules regarding Changing Google Play Store Country:
There are a few things that you need to keep in mind before you change country in Google Play Store.
- You will only be able to change country in Google Play Store once a year.
- After you change country in Google Play Store. You will not be able to access the credit of Google Balance in your account.
- You will have to update all your details. For Example, you will have to give a new address.
Guide to Change Google Play Store Country:
Now Lets move on to the first method and the easiest way to change country in Google Play Store. This can be only performed on an Android Phone.
- On your Android Phone, open Google Play Store.
- Now on the top left side. You will see the three parallel lines, which is also called the Hamburger button (☰). Click on it.
- Go to Account and then select Country and Profiles.
- Here you will see a list of countries, you can select the country that you are currently located in.
- Now put on all the details and update your payment method and address.
The problem is that this feature is not available in some countries. If you can not find Country and Profiles in the settings menu then it means that you will have to use the method below.
You can use any one of the following methods to change country in Google Play Store. Preferably, you should try the first method. If it doesn’t work, then you can follow the second method.
Change Country in Google Play Store:
Google play store is the largest repository of Android Applications. Although the app is same, it is tweaked demographically, like if you are in some European country, you will see the apps that are famous in that specific country and if you are in some Asian country you will see most famous applications of that country on the top. So, once you change your country, the suggestions in Google play store will change as well. Now you will see the content that is top rated and most downloaded in the country you are living in.
Google uses its demographic metrics of downloads to figure out the ranking of apps in the Google play store of a specific country. There are some developers that make their applications inaccessible to users of some countries. Sometimes an app is released only for the specific country like Pokemon Go was just released for the USA first. You can change country in Google Play store using this guide if you want to access some app that is not present in your country. Or if you moved to some foreign country and want to install apps present in the Google play store of that specific country.
This method is rather easy as compared to the other one. Follow the steps below to change country in Google Play Store account:
- To manage your payment methods. First, you have to sign into your Google Wallet account.
- If you have added any payment methods to your Google Wallet then delete all. If you haven’t yet added a payment method to your account then skip this step.
- Now, add a card to one with a billing address located in your preferred country.
- Now, open Play Store and navigate to any item that is available for download.
- Click so that download process may start until you reach the “Accept and Buy” screen. You don’t need to complete the purchase.
Now close Google Play Store and clear data for the Play Store app by following the steps below:
- Go to Settings.
- Go to Apps.
- Tap Google Play Store.
- Tap “Clear Data”.
- Clear Cache of play store app.
Step 7: Now, re-open the play store app. Now you will see the Google play store of your default payment billing country.
Change Country in Google Play Store via Google Wallet:
If you are still facing the same problem then follow the steps given below:
- Open your browser and go to Google Wallet.
- Go to Settings and change home address.
- Now, you have to remove the old address. For that, go to Address book tab. There you will see an old address. Remove that address.
- A prompt window will open after removing old address. You’ll be prompted to accept the new terms and conditions for the new country.
Now, On your Android device and follow the steps given below:
- Go to App menu and select Settings.
- Go to Apps.
- Locate Google Play Store app.
- Tap “Clear Data” and “Clear Cache”.
You should now see the Google Play Store that matches your device’s default payment billing country.
Tip: You can open the Google Play Store in the browser without being logged in or with another google account. Then you can see all apps without limits. So far this is the most convenient way to see apps normally. The only limit can be that the Google Play Store sees your IP and makes country restrictions, but I am not sure if this really is the case. If yes, you can use a tool to hide your IP. Tools like VPNs or anonymous browsing.
- Updated (June 25th, 2016): Use this guide to change country in Google Play Store using two Android phones.
- Updated (September 9th,2016): One of our visitors contacted Google regarding this matter. Following is what he has to say:
“I have contacted google support, basically there are 2 places where you need to update your address. firstly, the one connected to your payment card. Another one is at payments.google .com on the right upper corner there is an icon for settings. When you have updated the addresses, go to your mobile to a paid app just before going further then click buy, exit google play, go to your android setting. Application and search for google play. Finally, delete app data, reset settings & delete cache. Go back to your google play store, now it should be working. If not then wait 30 minutes.”
Once you have changed the country on Google Play Store. It will allow you to access the apps of different countries. It is also important if you travel to some other country or you shift to a new country. Mostly, well in my case when I moved to a foreign country, the google play store country on my Nexus 6P automatically changed. I even got an email regarding the change of country of Google Play Services.
If you are still facing any problem regarding how to change country in Google Play Store then let us know in the comments below. Also, share with us if you have any other trick regarding the guide above.