Sometimes we want to download some Android app from Google Play Store but due to unavailability of that app in one specific country, we can not download it. What should we do in that case? One option is that you forget that app and find some other app with the same features. What if there is no such app on Play Store as an alternative to that app? In that case, you can opt to change your country in Google Play Store and download the desired app on your Android phone. Changing Google Play store country is also essential if you move from one country to another. After changing the country you also have to update your payment methods along with an address.
Google uses the billing address of your default payment instrument in Google Wallet to help determine your home country for accessing the Play Store. To change your location and to access any specific country’s play store, you must have a valid payment method with a billing address located inside a country.
You can use any one of the following methods to change your country in Google Play Store. Preferably you should try the first method. If it doesn’t work, then you can follow the second method.
First Method to Change Your Country in Google Play Store:
Google play store is the largest repository of Android Applications. Although the app is same, it is tweaked demographically, like if you are in some European country, you will see the apps that are famous in that specific country and if you are in some Asian county you will see most famous applications of that country on the top.
Google uses its metrics of rating and downloads to figure out the ranking of apps in the Google play store of a specifc country. There are some developers that make their applications inaccessible to some countries. Sometimes an app is released only for the specific country like Pokemon Go was just released for the USA first. You can change your country in Google Play store using this guide if you want to access some app that is not present in your country. Or if you moved to some foreign country and want to install apps present in the Google play store of that specific country.
This method is rather easy as compared to the other one. Follow the steps below to change your country in Google Play Store account:
- To manage your payment methods. First, you have to sign into your Google Wallet account.
- If you have added any payment methods to your Google Wallet then delete all. If you haven’t yet added a payment method to your account then skip this step.
- Now, add a card to one with a billing address located in your preferred country.
- Now, open Play Store and navigate to any item that is available for download.
- Click so that download process may start until you reach the “Accept and Buy” screen. You don’t need to complete the purchase.
Now close Google Play Store and clear data for Google Play Store application by following the steps below:
- Go to Settings.
- Go to Apps.
- Tap Google Play Store.
- Tap “Clear Data”.
- Clear Cache of play store app.
Step 7: Now, re-open the Play Store app. Now you will see the Google play store of your default payment billing country.
Second Method to Change Your Country in Google Play Store:
If you are still facing the same problem then follow the steps given below:
- Open your browser and go to Google Wallet.
- Go to Settings and change home address.
- Now, you have to remove the old address. For that, go to Address book tab. There you will see an old address. Remove that address.
- A prompt window will open after removing old address. You’ll be prompted to accept the new terms and conditions for the new country.
Now, open Google Play Store on your Android device and follow the steps given below:
- Go to Settings.
- Go to Apps.
- Tap Google Play Store.
- Tap “Clear Data” and “Clear Cache”.
You should now see the Google Play Store that matches your device’s default payment billing country.
Tip: You can open the Google Play Store in the browser without being logged in or with another google account. Then you can see all apps without limits. So far this is the most convenient way to see apps normally. The only limit can be that the Google Play Store sees your IP and makes country restrictions, but I am not sure if this really is the case. If yes, you can use a tool to hide your IP. Tools like VPNs or anonymous browsing.
- Updated (June 25th, 2016): Use this guide to change your country in Google Play Store using two Android phones.
- Updated (September 9th,2016): One of our visitors contacted Google regarding this matter. Following is what he has to say:
“I have contacted google support, basically there are 2 places where you need to update your address. firstly, the one connected to your payment card. Another one is at payments.google .com on the right upper corner there is an icon for settings. When you have updated the addresses, go to your mobile to a paid app just before going further then click buy, exit google play, go to your android setting. Application and search for google play. Finally, delete app data, reset settings & delete cache. Go back to your google play store, now it should be working. If not then wait 30 minutes.”
Changing Country on Google Play Store allows you to access the apps of different countries. It is also important if you travel to some other country or you shift to a new country. Mostly, well in my case when I moved to a foreign country, the google play store country on my Nexus 6P automatically changed. I even got an email regarding the change of country of Google Play Services.
If you are still facing any problem regarding how to change your country in Google Play Store then let us know in the comments below. Also, share with us if you have any other trick regarding the guide above.