We all often forget our passwords, but thanks to reset password option, we can recover our forgotten passwords easily without making much effort. So, if you are a MacBook user and forget your Admin and Standard user password, you don’t need to worry about it. Here, we will explain the complete process for OS X 10.11 EI Capitan Reset Forgotten User and Admin Password. This guide is also applicable for OS X 10.10 Yosemite, OS X 10.9 Mavericks, and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.
OS X 10.11 EI Capitan Reset Forgotten User and Admin Password:
Follow the enlisted steps carefully:
- First of all, you have to boot your Mac into recovery mode. For that, follow the enlisted steps.
- Click on Apple.
- Click on Restart.
- Now, press and hold Command + R.
- Release the buttons when you see the startup screen.
- Now, you have to go to Utilities Menu.
- Select Terminal from the utility menu.
- Here in Terminal, type ‘reset password.’ After that, press enter.
- Now, Mac will open a new window. In this window, select Hard Drive. After that, select the user. Make sure that you select only that user for whom you want to reset the password.
- After that, you’ll be prompted to enter a new password. Click on ‘Save’ after entering a new password.
- Now, you will see a message about the keychain account for the confirmation process. In Mac OS X, the keychain is Apple’s Password Management System. It stores all your passwords for websites, applications, and servers.
- Go back to Apple Menu. Restart your Mac so that your Mac boots up normally.
- This time, to log in to your MacBook, enter a new password.
Forgetting passwords is very common these days as it’s literally impossible to remember the password of every app and device. Along with that, the criteria to set a strong password make it even harder to recall passwords. The best thing to overcome this situation is to use a password app that stores all your passwords, and all you have to do is remember the one password of the pass app. Or maybe use it for face unlock or fingerprint as password of that app.
I hope this guide was useful for you and helped you solved the issue. If you are still facing any problem regarding OS X 10.11 EI Capitan Reset Forgotten User and Admin Password, then let us know in the comments below.