Looking to Root LG V10 to explore the number of amazing features present under the hood. Root allows you to explore system tweaks which are not readily available. I have covered a fully comprehensive guide on how to Root LG V10. It also covers the prerequisite, that is unlocking bootloader and in the end of this guide. I will also tell you how you can flash TWRP custom recovery that allows you to perform NANDROID backup and flash Custom ROMs.
LG V10 is one of the finest phones manufactured by LG. Most people considered LG V10 as the successor of LG G4. To be honest, it is not. Few days back I got LG V10 and I am loving the flawless phone. It has an amazing camera with laser autofocus. It is fast and never lags. No matter how many apps you are running at a time. It has 4 GB Ram and Snapdragon 808. 3000 mAh battery which gives pretty decent battery timing. It is a complete Android phone, which crazy new features.
Moving on the guide. I have personally implemented this guide on my LG V10. So you can perform it on your phone without any hesitation. I have covered each and every detail. So even if its your first time. It won’t be hard for you to perform this guide and root LG V10. I will be covering this guide in steps, which are as follows:
- Firstly, I will cover how to unlock bootloader of LG V10.
- Next step is to flash custom custom recovery TWRP
- Finally, with the help of TWRP, I will guide you on how to flash custom recovery on LG V10.
Advantages of Rooting Android Phone:
- You can remove unnecessary system apps and bloatware. Which are of no use to you.
- You can optimise and enhance the performance of your Android phone.
- Overclock the processor to boost the performance of your phone.
- You can install a number of beneficial apps that can not be installed on non-rooted phones.
- Custom recoveries like CyanogenMod or TWRP can be installed on a rooted phone.
Following are some prerequisites that you will have to download before you move on to actual guide:
- Make sure your phone is charged to over 50%.
- This guide if for LG V10 updated on Android 6 Marshmallow.
- Unlocking bootloader and rooting phone will void its warranty. So proceed forward if you are certain that you need rooted device over warranty.
- Following guide is self implemented and it has no flaws, but make sure you follow it as described to avoid soft bricking your phone.
- Also, You will have to Enable USB Debugging on your LG V10: Goto Settings-> About Phone -> Software Info -> Locate Build number and tap on it for 7 times. Head back to settings and locate Developers Options -> Enable USB debugging.
- Enable OEM Unlocking: Goto Settings-> Developer Options -> Check Enable OEM Unlock.
- Although rooting and installing custom recovery like TWRP will not delete any data present on your phone. But unlocking bootloader deletes all the data present in your phone. Make a backup of your phone using LG Backup App. Or use this guide to make backup.
- LG Drivers for Windows. (You are required to install these drivers on your Windows PC. These drivers are necessary for your computer to recognise your phone.)
- Minimal ADB Tool. Download it and Install it somewhere, you can access it easily. (Its a great tool developed by recognised developer of XDA. Its has a number of features, we will be using it to unlock bootloader, root LG V10 and install TWRP.)
- SuperSU Flashable Zip File. (This file is required to root LG V10). Download it from here and move it to external or internal storage of your phone (External Recommended)
- TWRP Custom Recovery.
Now lets move on to the first step of our guide that is to unlock the bootloader. It is necessary before you root LG V10.
How to Unlock Bootloader of LG V10:
Unlocking bootloader lifts many restriction from your stock operating system. You can perform number of actions that are not allowed with locked bootloader. Now lets move on to the guide.
- First of all, make sure you have downloaded and installed Minimal ADB tool on your windows PC or laptop.
- Connect your LG v10 to your PC via USB cable.
- Now open the Minimal ADB Tool and enter the following command.
- Now you will see LG-H8960. Model of your phone. It shows your phone is connected.
- Now get into bootloader mode by entering the following code in ADB Minimal tool.
adb reboot bootloader
- Now check if fastboot is working correctly. Enter the following two commands.
fastboot oem unlock
- Now wait for a few minutes and bootloader of LG V10 will be unlocked.
- Lastly, enter the following command to reboot your phone.
That’s all. Now bootloader of LG V10 will be unlocked when it will restart again.
Note: Some fastboot commands are not working on LG V10 running on Android Marshamallow. If you are unable to unlock bootloader from the above guide. Then use this official guide of LG. You can perform the steps mentioned in the official guide while entering the commands in the Minimal ADB tool. You don’t have to download the Android SDKs to perform this guide.
How to Install TWRP Custom Recovery on LG V10.
Custom recovery is necessary as we will be using it to root LG V10. Trust me this method is easier as compared to the other ones.
- Locate the Minimal ADB folder in your PC.
- Move the TWRP Recovery file that you just downloaded to Minimal ADB folder.
- Rename the downloaded TWRP file to recovery.img (In windows file extension is hidden, make sure you don’t save the file as recovery.img.img in order to avoid it Goto Start-> Search for Folder Options-> Open it-> Click on View Tab -> Uncheck “Hide Extensions for Known File Types” -> Apply and hit Okay.)
- Now open the Minimal ADB tool. and enter the following code.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- On LG V10 running on Android 6. Some fastboot commands are not working like so you won’t be able to boot into recovery using adb reboot recovery command. As LG is restoring recovery on every boot.
- To overcome this there is a trick. Do not reboot your phone.
- When in fastboot. Turn off your phone.
- When your phone is off. Press Volume Down + Power Button. Release the power button when you see LG logo on the screen. Make sure you are still holding the volume button. Press the power button again.
- Now you will see a prompt asking you if you want to factory reset your phone. If you correctly flashed the custom recovery TWRP. Then it won’t erase all your data. Select Yes. (Twice).
- Now after a few seconds, you will see the screen of TWRP.
- If you rebooted your phone after flashing a custom recovery, then most probably above step will erase all the data present in your phone.
How to Root LG V10 with SuperSU:
Now, lets move on to the main part. Once you are done with unlocking the bootloader and installing custom recovery. Next step is to root LG V10.
- First of all make sure, that you have already moved the SuperSU file into your phone and you’re in custom recovery.
- When you are in TWRP recovery. There is an option of Install on the main screen. Tap on it.
- If SuperSu file is present in external storage then locate it in SDcard1 folder. Otherwise, it will be present in SDcard0 or internal storage of your phone.
- Once located. Select it and Swipe right to flash it.
- That’s all. Now move back to the main menu and reboot your phone.
- Once your phone restarts. You will see SuperSu file in App Drawer of your phone. It is an indication that your phone is rooted.
- If you can’t find SuperSU file then go to Google Play Store and download it. Also, download Root Checker to confirm that your phone is rooted successfully.
That’s all on how to unlock bootloader, flash TWRP and root LG V10. I also have an LG V10. If you are facing any kind of issue while using V10, feel free to ask me. In conclusion, I would like to offer my help to you guys if you are confused or stuck at any part of this guide. You can reach out to me on facebook or comment below this post. I will get back to you as soon as possible. The quickest way to seek help is via facebook. I hope you were successful in your attempt to root LG V10.