Yesterday, I updated my laptop to Windows 10 Home from Windows 7. At first, it was working like a charm but after using it for a while I noticed that the browsing on Windows 10 is very slow. It was taking ages to load a single page. I was really very pissed off and I couldn’t find any solution. After spending hours, I came up with the following solutions that not only fixes the internet speed but it also enhances the internet speed by cutting down the reserved bandwidth of Windows 10 which it keeps reserved for the system apps. Without further ado, let’s move on to the guide on how to fix slow internet after windows 10 update. This guide works if you are running Windows 10 home, pro or education version.
Slow Internet After Windows 10 Update? Here’s the Fix
There are two methods both can be used to fix slow internet on Windows 10. The first method will shut down the peer to peer update process from your PC. In simple words, Windows 10 allows you to download application and system updates from other PC’s connected to the server. It sucks all your internet bandwidth seeding to the other user. The first method is good enough and it worked for me.
In the second method: we will cut down the bandwidth reserved for operating system and system applications. Hence, all the internet speed will be available to you for your browsing and other purposes.
Method 1 to Fix Slow Internet after windows 10 update:
Slow internet after windows 10 update is a common problem. Follow the below steps and see the screenshots to solve slow internet on Windows 10:
- First of all from Start Menu, open Settings. (Type settings in the search bar and it will appear).
- Now locate and select “Update and Security“.
- Now in this window, locate and click on “Advanced Options”.
- In advanced options; Click on “Choose how updates are delivered“.
- Now Turn off updates from more than one place.
- You can see the whole process on how to fix slow internet after windows 10 update in the screenshot below.
Now your system will not work as a seeder for other Windows 10 users. It won’t use your network bandwidth to provide others with updates. This will give a sudden boost to your slow internet speed on Windows 10.
Method 2 to Fix Slow internet on Windows 10:
Not many of us are familiar with the fact that the windows 10 has reserved 20% of the internet bandwidth for the system applications and operating system. So you can’t consume all your 100% internet connection for browsing and other stuff. In the below steps, I will guide you how to disable this reservation of internet bandwidth for operating system and applications to fix slow internet after windows 10 update. So that you can consume 100% of your internet, it will also help you to tackle slow internet after windows 10 update problem.
- First of all Search for Run in search bar.
- Type gpedit.msc and press OK.
- Give permissions. Now a Window will open with the title of Group Policy.
- Now on right-hand side of the window, you will see Computer Configuration. Click on it.
- Now Navigate through: Administrative Templates -> Network – > Qos Packet Scheduler – > Limit reservable bandwidth. Open it.
- Here the default option is not configured. If you don’t configure it and leave it as it is then the system will reserve 20% of total bandwidth for the operating system and applications by default.
- Click on Enable.
- Now Change the Value from 20 to 0. (As in the screenshot below).
- Apply and then click OK.
- Now you will be able to utilize total internet bandwidth for your own use.
Extended Guide for Windows 10 Home, Windows 7 and Home Premium versions:
Microsoft does not provide gpedit.msc file in some versions of windows. This configuration file is not present in the system. You will have to add it yourself.
If you can’t locate gpedit.msc then follow the below steps:
- First, you will have to add gpedit.msc file. For this download this installer. It will install gpedit.msc to your Windows 10 Home edition. (It was compiled by davehc on Microsoft Windows Forum. On that forum, he mentioned that this file is free from copyright and it can be used and distributed. So I have uploaded it on my private cloud. Open the link and click on download through the browser to download it).
- Once you have downloaded the installer, Unzip it and open the Setup.
- It will install the gpedit.msc file on your system. when its done, don’t click finish. Perform the next step first.
- Goto C:\Windows\SysWOW64 on your PC and copy “Group Policy”, “GroupPolicyUsers” and “gpedit.msc” (Caution: Make sure you get the right file with correct extension.)
- Paste the Above copied files in C:\Windows\System32. It will ask for Administrator’s permissions. Give the permissions.
- Now you are good to go. Open RUN and search for gpedit.msc and perform the steps mentioned in Method 2.
The conclusion of How to Fix Slow Internet on Windows 10:
If you have any issue regarding the above mentioned two methods, which are meant to solve slow internet after windows 10 update, ask us in the comments. Feel free to seek any kind of help. Also, if this guide helped you out to fix slow internet on Windows 10, let me know in the comments. I hope it will help you guys. As it is a comprehensive and self-implemented guide that worked for me. I was about to move back to windows 7 before I worked out on these methods to fix slow internet after windows 10 update.
Another thing that you guys need to keep an eye on. Keep the updates running on your Windows 10, keep your windows defender and apps updated in order to stay safe from all the malware, that can eat up all your bandwidth.