Android is ruling mobile operating systems because of its open source availability. It lets you customize the user interface as you like. It is one of the greatest advantages of Android, as it lets you customise your phone to a great extent. I am in love with Android, and I have been flashing custom ROMs for quite a while and this “Status 7 Installation Aborted” is something I come across frequently. Today, we will talk about how to fix error status 7 Installation aborted while flashing ROM.
Most of the times, there are two reasons for this error which are as below:
- Firstly, maybe the custom ROM or firmware you are trying to flash is not meant for your phone. Double check if you have the right ROM as installing wrong ROM can have severe consequences.
- If you are sure you have got the right ROM then maybe the developer messed up while development and it can be fixed in just a few steps that are explained in the guide below.
Fix Error Status 7 Installation Aborted While Flashing ROM:
In the guide below, which might look technical, but it is easy as cake. All you have to do is to change the Asserts code, or maybe remove it. Asserts is a code that makes sure you are flashing the right ROM on your Android phone. Like you are not trying to flash Galaxy S6’s ROM into Galaxy S7. It’s to save your phone from bricking. Sometimes even if you have the right ROM, it won’t let you flash. Mostly, that is because of the ROM developer’s fault. If you are 100% sure you have got the right ROM for your phone then you don’t need this check you can remove this line of code, which will be explained in the guide below.
Tip: If you want to save all the struggle of performing the guide below, just flash the ROM using TWRP instead of CWM and it will do fine. But you might lose your backups as you won’t be able to restore backups you made with CWM using TWRP.
Without further ado, let’s move on to the solution of “Status 7 Installation Aborted”. There are two methods to fix this problem. I will be explaining both solutions in detail.
Method 1 to Fix Error Status 7 Installation Aborted:
- Move the ROM to your PC and extract it in some folder.
- Goto Meta-INF folder and navigate to /com/google/android directory.
- There you will find a file named “updater-script”.
- Open this file via Notepad++. (Use Notepad++ as it saves and resigns zip perfectly).
- Find the line:
assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "devicename" ||
getprop("ro.build.product") == "devicename" ||
- Change the device name to the name of your device. For example, if you have nexus 7 then change the code as below:
assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "grouper" ||
getprop("ro.build.product") == "grouper" ||
(Grouper is the code name for Nexus 7. It is easy to find code name of any device on the internet. If the ROM you are flashing is for many devices you will see this code repeated with device name changed. You just have to change the code in one pair of lines as above.)
- That’s it just save the file after editing the code.
- Zip the file again.
- Move it to your phone and flash it using a custom recovery.
I hope this solution worked out for you. If it still didn’t fix error status 7 installation aborted then try another method that is below.
Method 2 to fix Error Status 7 Installation Aborted:
Now let’s move on to the 2nd method. It’s a simple fix. You just have to remove the check. As I said before, if you are certain that the ROM is for your phone then go ahead and remove the lines.
- Follow the steps as in method one till step 5.
- Once you have opened the updater-script file in notepad++.
- Remove the following highlighted code. From assert to the semicolon present at the end of assert function.
- Once done. Save the file.
- Now move back to the root folder where you extracted the ROM. Rezip the file to .rar or .zip.
- Move it back to your phone storage memory and flash it using a custom recovery.
That’s all. This is going to fix error Status 7 installation aborted while flashing custom ROM on your Android phone. If you have any questions or query, feel free to ask me in the comments. You can discuss with me if you have any confusion in any step above.