Google Assistant works as your personal companion on Android phones. First it was exclusively introduced for Google Pixel Devices, now Google has introduced it in Nexus 6P running on Android Nougat and number of other devices. There a trick discovered by one of the XDA developers that will allow you to get Google Assistant on Android Lollipop and Marshmallow without rooting your device.
Google assistant is also available on number of wearable devices like Android wear 2.0. It can also be used on Android TV.
Also Checkout: Best Apps Developed by XDA users.
How to get Google Assistant on Android Lollipop and Marshmallow without root:
In this guide you will have to download an application that will let you to launch a hidden activity. This can be done with an app named Activity Launcher. Also know that if you are using Nova Launcher then you can easily launch this activity from its build-in feature. Now lets move on to the process.
- First of all download and install Activity launcher on your phone.
- Now open it and tap on Recent Activities.
- Select All Activities.
- Locate Google App.
- Tap on it. It will display all the available activities of Google App.
- Find com.google.android.apps.gsa.staticplugins.opa.hq.OpaHqActivity.
- Either make shortcut of this activity on your phone.
- Clear Cache of Google App from settings.
- Now open the shortcut. Once open. you will be in Explore menu of Google Assistant.
- Swipe over “Your Stuff” and tap on Add Reminder to trigger Google Assistant.
- What this action does is launch the activity com.google.android.apps.gsa.staticplugins.opa.OpaActivit. which normally can not be accessed on your unrooted device.
- Now you can access the setup where you setup your voice for Okay Google Command in Google Assistant.
If you are still not clear about the process then watch the video below, it is comprehensive.
That’s all on how to use google assistant on Android Lollipop 5 and Android marshmallow 6 without having to root your device. If you have further questions or queries. Feel free to ask me in the comments. Do share with us your experience of Google Assistant on Android Lollipop.